Possible Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trivtrav

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a nice brown ale kit. My instructions said wait 2-3 weeks for proper bottle conditioning. I decided to try it at 2 just to see how things were going...I popped the top on a mostly cold one and it fizzed everywhere. Half the beer was gone by the time it was done. Initially I thought maybe it wasnt cold enough, so I threw a couple more in the fridge and let them chill overnight. I came home today and popped the top on one. Same problem...fizz everywhere, half the bottle lost. Here is my real concern...if I let these go another week are they going to explode on me?

TIA,
Trav

This is probably a dumb question, but when you 'popped the top', did you gently pop off the cap, or did the bottle bang on the counter or otherwise get shaken up in the process of removing the cap? I know the first beer I opened fizzed a bunch because it banged into the microwave (albeit gently) when my hand slipped a little as the cap was coming off.

Back