Possible bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaynardX

Reaction score
So, I bottled my first batch of Apfelwein last night, but had some problems. I started the auto-siphon into the bottling bucket and had a good stream going. With about a gallon of wine left in the fermenter, the stream suction stopped and couldn't, for the life of me, get it started again. I began with the auto-siphon and couldn't get it to rise high enough in the racking cane without pumping air in the wine. Then, I pulled out the "old school" manual racking cane. I must have had 15-20 attempts before I gave up. I tried new and longer hoses and everything.

But anyway, here is my problem. I primed the Apfelwein with 3/4 cup corn sugar. Since I only ended up with 4 gallons of wine, will there be a possibility of gushers or bottle bombs? Should I maybe try recapping in a few days?

As long as it was done fermenting, you shouldn't run any risk of bottle bombs. You're still within the range of the bottles.

As a sidenote, you should start weighing your priming sugar instead of using volume - it's more reliable.

As long as it was done fermenting, you shouldn't run any risk of bottle bombs. You're still within the range of the bottles.

As a sidenote, you should start weighing your priming sugar instead of using volume - it's more reliable.

I have always weighed in the past, but I followed Ed Wort's recipe for this batch and wanted to stay as close as possible to his directions. He lists to prime with 3/4 cup of corn sugar, so thats what I did :).

Do you use this?... KotMF: Priming Sugar Calculator

If so, how reliable has it been for you?

No, I usually let BeerSmith calculate everything for me. This is my first batch of "something other then beer", so I didn't have that handy. But, like I said in the previous post, I wanted to stick with Ed Wort's recipe as close as possible for the first batch. I don't mind my beverages a little extra bubbly. As long as I don't have glass grenades in the closet, I will be happy. :)

You will be fine, if anything you will have slightly over-carbed apfelwein. Cheers from Wilmington, DE!
Brian

Thanks for the replies. Can't wait to see how this turns out. Gave the wife a taste of the last gallon I couldn't get siphoned and she showed an ugly face. I'm sure it was from the yeast that I resuspended in the last gallon. Hell...tasted good to me, so thats all that matters :).

Back