Posioned Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whsoj

Reaction score
So we say nothing that grows in beer can kill you, your stupidity and what you put in your beer can. Read this guys story.

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2or11t/tifu_by_homebrewing_a_poisonous_beer_and_having_a/

Moral: Thoroughly research adjuncts. At least he owned his mistake, too many people would blame someone else.

"My dad called sic the Euthanasia Beer"
Glad that I'm not the only one who found it somewhat amusing.

I believe the saying is "no pathogenic organisms that can harm you can survive in beer".

Doesn't apply to toxic chemicals, poisons, or even said toxic chemicals or poisons produced by pathogens that CAN survive in wort. And of course, doesn't apply to human stupidity.

That was entertaining, thanks for the read. And meanwhile, I'm going to continue my streak of NOT eating (or brewing with) strange plants I find in the woods without knowing exactly what they are.

There have been studies showing that stuff like salomonella can survive in beer for about 30 days or so but can't actually grow. See this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22004814

Keep in mind that's only part of the story.

"Salmonella Typhimurium could not grow in the mid-strength or full-strength beers, although they could survive for more than 30 days in the mid-strength beer when held at 4°C".

That clearly states it can survive for more than 30 days when held at 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Cooling allows the organisms to live longer hence, "Pathogen survival in all beers was prolonged at lowered storage temperatures.". Being we ferment and condition at much warmer temps, for ales at least, I think the studies would should it wouldn't live long enough to make it into the end product and harm the drinker due to the time length if infection was introduced in the early stages of production.

Rev.

Reminds me of that thread a while back where the guy pissed off his wife and she retaliated by adding some mystery flower petals to his fermenter.

[...and of course there was never any resolution of why she did it, what the flowers were, or what happened to the guy...or the beer.]

Rev2010, I totally agree. I was just correcting terminology and being nit-picky. The overall message being that it's all good... You would have to dump some raw chicken juice or dip you hand in the bottling bucket after going to the bathroom and not washing to really mess things up and even so you probably would be fine...

Rev2010, I totally agree. I was just correcting terminology and being nit-picky. The overall message being that it's all good... You would have to dump some raw chicken juice or dip you hand in the bottling bucket after going to the bathroom and not washing to really mess things up and even so you probably would be fine...

Avast, you mean that my Colonel's Unfried Chicken Ale was a bad idea?

And lando if I wanted your feedback on reddit I would have sent you a pm about reddit but, thanks for the non beer related comment in general beer fourm.

Yikes! That was a serious mistake! He should've paid attention to the recipes using young blue spruce tips. They haven't developed the toxic alkaloids yet. Pine & that other one are no-no's.:drunk:

If it "tastes like turpentine", then it is! The adult parts of the trees contain alkaloids. That's why I don't see critters foraging on them. Maybe a small amount in some parts? Saved both links. Apparently there are certain pines that are used for those teas?...

Back