Portland Oregon advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Myself and 5 of my good friends from college are headed to Portland for a weekend of breweries. I have done a lot of research online on which ones to go to. I have a list of 18! Now that sounds incredible, but I need your help in narrowing it down. PLEASE RANK YOUR TOP 5-10 THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TO.

Also we want to have dinner both Friday and Saturday night. What would be a great brewery to eat at? We are a bunch of married with kids mid 40 year olds that would rather spend money on beer than food, but want some good grub.

Thank you everyone!!!!!!

HERE IS MY LIST (what is your top 5-10?):
10 BARREL
BAERLIC
BASE CAMP
BREAKSIDE
CASCADE
CULMINATION
DESCHUTES
ECLIPTIC
EX NOVO
GIGANTIC
GREAT NOTION
HAIR OF THE DOG
HOPSWORKS
STORMBREAKER
UPRIGHT
WAYFINDER
WIDMER BROTHERS
ZOIGLHAUS

As a long term resident of Portland, I’ll tell you what I’d do, but it depends entirely on your tastes eg sours, old world etc. I’d hit Breakside, gigantic, great notion, Zoiglhaus, deschutes, wayfinder, day trip to hood river for pfriem and double mountain. There’s a few I still haven’t been to as well.

As a long term resident of Portland, I’ll tell you what I’d do, but it depends entirely on your tastes eg sours, old world etc. I’d hit Breakside, gigantic, great notion, Zoiglhaus, deschutes, wayfinder, day trip to hood river for pfriem and double mountain. There’s a few I still haven’t been to as well.
Definitely Cascade if there's a sour-lover among you.
Awesome. Thank you. @kcinpdx where is the best place to have dinner and lunch out of those? Or is there a better tap house kind of place to go?

Awesome. Thank you. @kcinpdx where is the best place to have dinner and lunch out of those? Or is there a better tap house kind of place to go?

Fish n Chips at Horse Brass pub. Great tap list there, too. Close to Cascade and a few other good places.

Also consider Loyal Legion. ~99 taps of Oregon made beer, cider, etc.

Breakside is a good one , 10 Barrel had good food last time I went and they are across the street from Rogue Brewery so kinda a 2 for 1.

But I would honestly try to go to tap houses of the breweries so you can try a larger variety of beer and they will have some good food as well.

Lucky Lab, Lightning Will , anything on the 21st/ 23rd st stretch , Lots of great places on the east side as well.

I would split it into a eastside day and a westside day and brewery/ pub crawl around.

Hey everyone. Myself and 5 of my good friends from college are headed to Portland for a weekend of breweries. I have done a lot of research online on which ones to go to. I have a list of 18! Now that sounds incredible, but I need your help in narrowing it down. PLEASE RANK YOUR TOP 5-10 THAT YOU HAVE BEEN TO.

Also we want to have dinner both Friday and Saturday night. What would be a great brewery to eat at? We are a bunch of married with kids mid 40 year olds that would rather spend money on beer than food, but want some good grub.

Thank you everyone!!!!!!

HERE IS MY LIST (what is your top 5-10?):
10 BARREL
BAERLIC
BASE CAMP
BREAKSIDE
CASCADE
CULMINATION
DESCHUTES
ECLIPTIC
EX NOVO
GIGANTIC
GREAT NOTION
HAIR OF THE DOG
HOPSWORKS
STORMBREAKER
UPRIGHT
WAYFINDER
WIDMER BROTHERS
ZOIGLHAUS

Long time portlander here. Must do’s:
Breakside
Ex Novo
Cascade
Upright
Wayfinder
Modern times

Worth a visit if you already knocked out the must do’s:
Widmer (their taproom only stuff is amazing)
Labrewatory - across the street from widmer- good stuff, and you’re already there
Great notion - good not great hazies
Deschutes - honestly they disappoint me every time, but their barrel aged stuff can be good
Little beast
Ruse
Culmination

Don’t waste your time:
Hopworks
Lompoc
Rogue
Bridgeport

For beer and good food:
Breakside slabtown
Ex novo
Grain and gristle (upright’s gastro pub)
Wayfinder
Horse brass
Plus, almost all restaurants will have a good beer selection. If you’re hitting tons of breweries, just eat what sounds good and there will be some good beers to choose from.

Last edited:
If you're willing to venture outside of Portland, there's a few places you should check out.

pFriem - Hood River, OR

de Garde - Tillamook, OR

Block 15 - Corvallis, OR

Ale Song - Eugene, OR

I highly recommend Roscoes on the east side for an eclectic collection of local brews, great ambience and probably the best bar food I that I've had. Also second the idea for a day trip to Pfriem in Hood River especially for their outstanding lagers.

At the very least drink some pfriem in Portland (readily available). I second the roscoes suggestion (montavilla Brew works and beer bunker on same drag). If you want strippers and beer, acropolis (get the $6 steak!) and sassy’s both have huge craft tap lists

Roscoes! I love that place.

My wife used to work at the Academy Theater so we were regular patrons there.

Back