Portland Friday Night 08/14/09 olllllo's Alegust Beer Trek Part I

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm headed to a Cascade Brewers Society event in Lyons, OR on Saturday but I get into Portland around 5PM and will spend the night down by the convention center. I plan on taking the train to downtown.

Sooo. Come out and have some beers with me.

I might also be able to meet up on the drive south or on the way back although I think my flight leaves around 2PM.

Post if you're interested or any local tips.

My time in Portland was short.

Went to Henry's, Full Sail Downtown, The Horse Brass, Belmont Station and Deschutes. Didn't get the Dissident on tap as they ran out.

All were worth returning to but what would you recommend?

Rogue, Bridgeport, Hopworks, Laurelwood, Almeda, Lompac, maybe a McMenamins, just so you can say you've done it....most of those are on the West side.

Green Dragon and Bailey's are fun too. If you are still here on Saturday, Upright Brewing (new french/belgian brewery) has a tasting room open from 12-5pm on the weekends.

You also missed Roots and Lucky lab. I am partial to lucky lab NW,because of the vibe and the brewer is a nice guy.

I'll probably be available, I'll make a note of it and try to be. I have a bunch of beer at my place that we could taste too, and I live right betwixt most of the west-side breweries.

Wish I could drive back over and hang out.

Definitely check out Hopworks. One of my favorite places.

Widmer always has some good beers on tap (not the typical stuff) and has excellent food.

OK. Here is the plan, thus far:

Kilted Brewer, PicoBrew and I will be meeting at the Lucky Labrador NW at about 5:30ish on Friday.

Lucky Labrador Beer Hall
1945 NW Quimby
Portland, OR 97209
phone: 503-517-4352

We will proceed to the SE, through downtown, evading the law, opportunistically looting and pillaging, recruiting like minded HBTers and shutting down any phony green-bottle-beer chumps that look to be served.

We'll be documenting our travails via the twit.
@olllllo
@g_pass
@BeeVeeOh

May not be good with the Trident...but she trains in BJJ, Kickboxing, Submission Wrestling and Judo so we've got the Ninjas covered.

Wish I could join you - have a family birthday party that night. Have fun and enjoy Portland.

PS. I would avoid McMenamins - beer is ok - food is not. To many other great locations.

PS. I would avoid McMenamins - beer is ok - food is not. To many other great locations.

IMHO I disagree, it all depends on location and who is cooking that night when it comes to a chain as large as McMen's. Although I will admit I have had great food and just ok food while dining at McMen's. However, I think all their brews are worth trying at least once.

I will be at the Lucky Lab @ 5:30 probably won't be able to travel any further than that but would like to grab one brew and add to my list of HBT's I have met. :mug:

Yeah, McMen isn't the end all be all, but for out of towners I think it's a good place to hit at least once in your life. Never had a bad meal there, but I go there knowing it's hit and miss. Part of the charm as the say.

I am so jealous! One of these days, maybe next year in my first year in retirement, I'm going out there and demanding a beer cruise.

Keep us all posted, but I'll be offline due to my own travels on Friday night. I'm planning in meeting the one and only Pumbaa in person on Friday, so I can add to my HBT lifelist, too!

I just put an assortment of bottles into the fridge in case we make it over my way. As I was picking them out, I was realizing they are mostly HBTer recipes! pretty cool. this site sure has helped me.

Joker....just got your PM. Tried to respond but got a note your inbox is full. We were totally there right around that same time you sent the PM. Not sure how we missed you. You were at the NW location on Quimby, right? We didn't stay long. Maybe 30 - 45mins. Bummer man...

Rob, Greg...nice to meet you both. Had a great time.

Had lunch with ollllllo. Hit the Oregon Hotel first for a couple pints, then when Golden Valley opened went over there for Eggs and Prime Rib. And more beer. The guy's got stamina.

I wasn't aware that Lucky Lab had more than one location so I went to the one I knew of, guess that is what I get for skimming the thread instead of reading the details.

Had lunch with ollllllo. Hit the Oregon Hotel first for a couple pints, then when Golden Valley opened went over there for Eggs and Prime Rib. And more beer. The guy's got stamina.

heh, I noticed that from the virtual conference call from Naked City...:mug:

Stamina or Stupidity?

It was great meeting you David. Wonderful country and great people. No wonder the beers are amazing.

Sorry we missed you Joker. I wish I would have PMed you my number.

Here's the video of the Cascade Brewing Society Lyons Love-In.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQLtAWekIQ4]YouTube - Cascade Brewing Society Annual Brew ha ha[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBwBfFVQmb4]YouTube - Rogues Gallery at Cascade Brewing Society Love-In[/ame]

Back