Porter Yeast Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwcdrums

Reaction score
Nottingham would work but might dry it out too much. SO4 is another good option for dry yeast as it leaves some residual sweetness. I have had good luck with SO4 for stouts and porters. Any liquid English/Irish yeast would work as well or Wyeast American II 1272.

If the liquid yeast is somewhat fresh you should be OK pitching directly in the fermentor for a 5 gallon batch. Closest dry yeast would be SO4.

I was thinking about going with the WLP013 or WLP004 PurePitch from White Labs. Going off of memory, I believe the packaging says to pitch two packets if OG is over 1.060. Would two packets be the way to go if I don't make a starter? Thanks for bearing with me on these noob questions.

I used US-05 last time I made EF, and it was amazing. I was planning on using Denny's 1450 or S-04 the next time I made a batch of Edmund though, just to see the difference.

I ended up picking up two packs of FastPitch WLP013. I plan on pitching both packs as per the directions. Thanks to everyone for their input. I'll plan a little better next time.

Back