Porter w/ flavoring additions. Transfer to secondary or flavor in primary carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

APipeDream

Reaction score
I've just recently been reading up on how it is perfectly okay to remain in the primary carboy unless you plan on a secondary fermentation or adding flavoring additions. I am simply short on a carboy right now and was curious if I could add flavoring to the primary instead of transferring first.

This is a robust chocolate coconut porter. I plan on adding toasted coconut, cocoa nibs, and vanilla bean after 14 days, then let the additions sit for another 10-14 days.

Sure you can add them in the primary. After fermentation, I add things to the primary all the time with good results. With a porter you won't have to worry about trying to clear it as much. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Also, be sure your coconut doesn't have any preservatives (sulphur dioxide, etc), it will kill the yeast.

I just bottled a stout that was in the primary for 30 days and had vanilla beans, coffee beans, and papilla peppers added to it. Tastes great. Go for it.

I had a similar question to this. I have vanilla beans soaking in 6oz of bourbon I'm adding to my porter.

I'm keen to avoid transferring to secondary for this because a) I don't need the clarity and b) why risk unnecessary oxygen exposure?

However, I'm also concerned the vanilla/bourbon goodness will just sink to the bottom of the carboy and get lost in the sediment if I leave it in primary.

Is this a thing? Help appreciated.

Chris

If all you are adding is the vanilla saturated bourbon, feel free to add it to the keg/bottling bucket when you're ready to keg/bottle.

Any sugar added from the vanilla should be unremarkable in 5 gallons and you'll avoid your sediment absorbing your additions...

.... which is another thing you shouldn't be concerned about. Alcohol is less dense than water and wort and should readily diffuse into solution.

If all you are adding is the vanilla saturated bourbon, feel free to add it to the keg/bottling bucket when you're ready to keg/bottle.

Any sugar added from the vanilla should be unremarkable in 5 gallons and you'll avoid your sediment absorbing your additions...

.... which is another thing you shouldn't be concerned about. Alcohol is less dense than water and wort and should readily diffuse into solution.

Thank you!

I added vanilla beans and bourbon barrel chips directly into the primary with good results on my brown ale. The beans and wood chips stayed in solution and didn't sink until I fined with gelatin and cold crashed for a couple days. Then everything sank to the bottom and I racked to the keg as usual.

Back