Porter started....when to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonedog

Reaction score
All-

After making all that yummy cider....I thought I should step into the world of BEER!

So....I made a half batch (2.5 gallons; using the entire 4# can) of Iron Master Porter. I used Wy1098 British Ale for the yeast.

I started it on 2/9. It is happily chuggin along. I keep my house at 63F and it has never caused a problem.

I do not have a secondary, just carboys and bottles!

To my question:

How long do I keep it in the carboy before bottling?

I bottle carb as I do not have any other way at the moment....

Different country, same principles.
Once your hydrometer reads consecutive readings for 3 days it is ready to bottle.
1/2 tps sugar per 500ml for secondary fermentation

Johnnyboy is right, in that you shouldn't bottle if the hydrometer shows that there is still active fermentation going on. But, that doesn't mean that you need to bottle as soon as the hydrometer reads the same for three days. Rather, you can leave the beer in your carboy to let the yeast continue to work after active fermentation, to clean up your beer. For example, I seldom think about bottling before a minimum of three weeks.

Cheers!

Johnnyboy is right, in that you shouldn't bottle if the hydrometer shows that there is still active fermentation going on. But, that doesn't mean that you need to bottle as soon as the hydrometer reads the same for three days. Rather, you can leave the beer in your carboy to let the yeast continue to work after active fermentation, to clean up your beer. For example, I seldom think about bottling before a minimum of three weeks.

Cheers!

I think that you shouldn`t leave it too long because you dont want your wort sitting on top of dead yeast cells for too long.

Im a bit more concerned that you used a whole can to make just 50% of the intended wort.
Your yeast might not be able to take that amount of alcohol, or your finished brew will be too strong in alcohol, to drink.

JMHO Johnnyboy

Ive just checked on wy1098 yeast and it will take up to 10% alcohol.
JMHO When your hydrometer gives the same readings for 3 days transfer into another FV and leave for 1 week.
Prime and bottle as above.

Be prepared for a very strong beer.

Please, dont take this the wrong way, but the instuctions for kit beers are printed for a reason.:mug:

4 pounds of LME in 2.5 gallons will be around 1.060, not terrible. 4 pounds of dry extract would be around 1.070.

i'd leave it in the primary for a month. that won't be enough time for dead yeast to give off flavors. then bottle for 2 months.

Ive just checked on wy1098 yeast and it will take up to 10% alcohol.
JMHO When your hydrometer gives the same readings for 3 days transfer into another FV and leave for 1 week.
Prime and bottle as above.

Be prepared for a very strong beer.

Please, dont take this the wrong way, but the instuctions for kit beers are printed for a reason.:mug:

I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US, the instructions for kit beers are almost always wrong. Never follow those instructions if you are in the US. Develop your process and use it regardless of what the instructions say.

Also, I would recommend not doing a secondary at all, which is what the OP is planning. Yeast autolosis is really not that much of a concern. You don't have to worry about keeping your beer on the yeast too long until you start talking about longer than a month in primary. Actually, by keeping the beer on the yeast after primary is finished, the yeast will continue to work and break down some of the other compounds in your beer such as diacetyl and acetaldehyde.

Happy Brewing!

I don't know about in the UK, but here in the US, the instructions for kit beers are almost always wrong. Never follow those instructions if you are in the US. Develop your process and use it regardless of what the instructions say.

Also, I would recommend not doing a secondary at all, which is what the OP is planning. Yeast autolosis is really not that much of a concern. You don't have to worry about keeping your beer on the yeast too long until you start talking about longer than a month in primary. Actually, by keeping the beer on the yeast after primary is finished, the yeast will continue to work and break down some of the other compounds in your beer such as diacetyl and acetaldehyde.

Happy Brewing!
Do you think that that is sensible with a yeast strain that will only tolerate 10% alcohol

Really, I think leaving it on the yeast for 2-3 weeks is going to be fine no matter what. Whether or not he is going to get the attenuation he is looking for is another story. I don't think autolosis is something he has to worry about. But he might have to worry about ending up with a cloying beer if too many of the sugars don't get fermented.

That said, I am not recommending his procedure of making half the beer with all the ingredients from the kit. It might turn out fine, it might not. At the very least it will be a cool little experiment. When I said don't follow the kit instructions, I meant you don't need to follow them exactly as far as how long to ferment and when to use a secondary. The recipe should still probably be followed and that includes volume of water.

Do you think that that is sensible with a yeast strain that will only tolerate 10% alcohol

A 4 pound can of extract in 2.5 gallons (US gallons) will give an alcohol of 5.5- 6.25%. Certainly not enough to consider alcohol poisoning of the yeast!

I'd leave it three to four weeks, then bottle.

Hmmmmm...mebbe I didn't explain myself well enuff....

So lemme try this:

In primary for:

Bottle and set at room temp to carb up for:

In the refridgerator to condition a bit for:

Sorry I am so dumb.....also I do not have a hydrometer.....do I need one?

I plan on always to have a brew going in my 4 carboys.....all 3 gallon.....I like to have a lot of different things to relax with depending on my mood!

Hmmmmm...mebbe I didn't explain myself well enuff....

So lemme try this:

In primary for:

Bottle and set at room temp to carb up for:

In the refridgerator to condition a bit for:

Sorry I am so dumb.....also I do not have a hydrometer.....do I need one?

I plan on always to have a brew going in my 4 carboys.....all 3 gallon.....I like to have a lot of different things to relax with depending on my mood!

in primary for: 4 weeks

bottle at 70F for: 4 weeks

in refridgerator for: 1 week.

buy a hydrometer.

All-

After making all that yummy cider....I thought I should step into the world of BEER!

So....I made a half batch (2.5 gallons; using the entire 4# can) of Iron Master Porter. I used Wy1098 British Ale for the yeast.

I started it on 2/9. It is happily chuggin along. I keep my house at 63F and it has never caused a problem.

I do not have a secondary, just carboys and bottles!

To my question:

How long do I keep it in the carboy before bottling?

I bottle carb as I do not have any other way at the moment....

Im not familiar with this kit. But normally with one can kits you have to add sugar. Did you have to add sugar?

Most "run of the mill" kits have a OG of 1.040 and a target FG of 1.010 = abv4.08%

If you only used half the water you will have a OG of 1.080 and if the FG gets down to 1.010 the abv will be 9.51%

Im not familiar with this kit. But normally with one can kits you have to add sugar. Did you have to add sugar?

Most "run of the mill" kits have a OG of 1.040 and a target FG of 1.010 = abv4.08%

If you only used half the water you will have a OG of 1.080 and if the FG gets down to 1.010 the abv will be 9.51%

I think that the UK kits must be different than the US kits. 4 pounds of extract in 2.5 gallons will give you an OG of 1.057. Most good kits don't use sugar as an alcohol booster.

Right. In the UK most one can kits you have to add sugar/fermentables.
The two can kits contain more malt so you dont have to add any extra fermentables. The two can kits are normally a better drink with the advantage of you can only use one can if you want to make a smaller brew.
What I do is brew one can as per manufacturors instructions and tinker with the other can. Its nice to compare them side by side.

Back