Porter recipe using Brun' Water...does this look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohern

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey gang!

I have brewed this beer a few times and it is Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter. My primary question is how I am setting up the water for this recipe and to get your thoughts. I will say this about the water we use here in GA that it is pretty low in minerals and I have put the data into Brun' Water for this recipe.

Below is the grain bill for this and the the salts used to get to a Black Full water profile, please review and let me know your thoughts.
Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 10.17.40 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 10.32.32 PM.png

Deleted: OP edited.

You use 11.4 gals of water for a 5.5 gal batch?

Personally, when I first started with water chemistry I think I was doing too much micro-managing of my salt additions to try and hit every mineral target. You seem to be doing the same. I cannot imagine that anybody can detect the impact of 0.05 g/gal of Gypsum.

Correct on the water, allowing for grain absorption, boil off etc.

I am learning to use Brun’ Water after using Beersmith. I am trying to figure the best order to add salts to achieve the desired profile. Also since BW has the calculator for pickling lime I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

I really like Beersmith but the like the auto calculator is giving me too much salts many times.

As mentioned, don't get too concerned with hitting exact concentrations with brewing. Just get them somewhat close...you probably won't taste a difference.

You are targeting a reasonably high mash pH that should help mellow the roast character and make the beer smoother. I notice that you've got the "Add sparging water minerals to the mash" switch set. That's somewhat counterproductive in this mash and I wouldn't use that feature in this brew.

As mentioned, don't get too concerned with hitting exact concentrations with brewing. Just get them somewhat close...you probably won't taste a difference.

You are targeting a reasonably high mash pH that should help mellow the roast character and make the beer smoother. I notice that you've got the "Add sparging water minerals to the mash" switch set. That's somewhat counterproductive in this mash and I wouldn't use that feature in this brew.

Thanks Martin!

Since posting this I have tweaked this some more and now have a PH target of 5.3 and I have also split the additions between the mash and boil kettle. I think I am getting close to working it out.

Last edited:
Back