Porter recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benflath

Reaction score
Hi all! Making my first porter this weekend. Read through a bunch of recipes and pulled out some advice from the posts to get the recipe below. Thoughts?

Batch info:
5.5 gal
6.5% ABV
40 IBU
1.067 OG
1.017 FG

Grain:
9.5 lb 2-row
1 lb Crytal 60L
1 lb Wheat Malt
12 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz Cara-pils
4 oz Black Patent

Hops (emptying my stash here):
0.5 oz Centennial @ 60
0.5 oz Nugget @ 60
0.5 oz Willamette @ 15

Mash:
152 deg F for 60 min

Looks like it should work. Wait for more experienced folks to chime in. What type of yeast and what is your SRM for this recipe?

Looks good to me for an American style porter. The grainbill reminds me of the Black Butte Porter can you brew it clone.

This looks very similar to the Black Widow Porter recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles"
BWP doesn't have the wheat or carapils and it uses Goldings and Fuggles for the hops. Otherwise it's very very close in all aspects.
It looks like you have a good recipe.
Brew it and report the results on this thread.

Thanks all!

Both the black widow and black butte clone were inspirations, so good to see that comes through. Hopefully the same is true of the finished product!

Brewed it this weekend, came in slightly under target gravity and apparently didn't have the centennial I thought I did (replaced with Cascade). Otherwise all was good. Was doing it simultaneously to my second annual lambic, so the mash ran long waiting for equipment to be free. Will report on the end result in a few weeks!

Back