Porter recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
I want to make a porter that's thick and creamy and a bit sweet with a slight mint chocolate flavor. What do you think about this recipe?

5 Gallons
1.084 OG
1.032 FG
.614 BU/GU

Mash at 156F:
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US 69.1 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (Briess) 5.8 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) 5.8 %
14.0 oz Rye Malt (Weyermann) 5.0 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 80L (Cargill) 4.3 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) 2.9 %
8.0 oz Crystal 60, 2-Row, (Great Western) 2.9 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (Crisp) 2.9 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) 1.4 %

4 oz chocolate powder at flameout

1 oz Columbus @ 30 mins
1 oz Polaris @ 10 minutes
1 oz Columbus @ flamout
1 oz Northern Brewer @ flameout

White Labs English Ale 002

2 questions...

why the rye?
where are you planning to get the slight mint flavor you're hoping for? I don't see anything in your recipe that would give you that. have you considered throwing some mint leaves in primary at the end of fermentation? or hanging them in the keg in a bag (not sure if you bottle or keg)?

I'd leave out the wheat malt and the rye malt. Neither will give you a sweet flavor. Drop the chocolate rye. I'd up the chocolate malt to at least 1/2 pound, more like 3/4 of a pound.

I'd leave out the late hop additions. They'll get in the way of the roasted malt and chocolate flavors.

I've heard people describe Northern Brewer hops as "minty" but I can't imagine it being that close to mint. I just talked to the guy at my local liquor store about the chocolate mint stout he had made as a store promotional thing. He said the brewery used fresh mint leaves. It was a very subtle mint flavor but it still kind of ruined the beer in my opinion. It was OK, but I'm sure I would have liked it more without the mint.

Polaris are supposed to have a minty flavor too but the one time I used them I didn't get anything close to mint. I second dropping the late hops and adding some fresh mint into secondary. Since mint cam go from subtle to toothpaste (my own personal tastes anyway) real quick, have a light hand with it. Don't know of the top where a good starting pin would be, but I'm positive someone could give you an idea

I added the rye and chocolate rye for just a bit of bite/spice to cut through the thickness and sweetness of the beer. I think rye spice balances thickness/sweetness.

I added wheat to help with the thickness.

When I say minty I don't necessarily mean literal mint flavor. I just mean the Northern Brewer/Polaris mint-like tones. That's why those are in there.

Regardless of my original aims of the recipe, can anyone give me an idea as to how this recipe might taste? I only get the opportunity to brew occasionally and don't want a flop. It'd be nice to hear if you guys think it would be a good beer.

It's very hard to render any sort of judgement. That grain bill is all over the place. Rye is usually warm/earthy/spicy. Wheat can be a little 'twangy' and crisp. Oats give a little bit of an oily, chewy mouthfeel.

A lot of that grain bill contradicts itself. Kitchen sink brews can be good, but more often turn into a muddled mess. When you're formulating your recipe, simple is better. Add grains for a specific reason, look at the descriptions available in many books and online, and ask yourself if it's necessary. Simple is better.

In my opinion, stouts are better without late hop additions, they don't play nice with the roasty, chocolate, coffee notes.

Latest posts

Back