Porter, IPA, Black IPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieMan5000

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what I have done but so far it's working out great!.

1 lbs. Breiss Chocolate Malt
1 lbs. Breiss Caramel Malt
2 lbs. Breiss Dark DME
1 oz oats

1 oz tettnang pellet 60min
1 oz Cascade pellets 30min
2 oz Hops from an herb shop in town
1 oz cascade leaf hops Dry hopped

Sassafrass
Juniper
Hawthorn
A little bit of coco
Elder berry (Added during boil and also dry added)
Black Currents (Dry added)
1 stick of Vanilla Bean (Dry Added)

I Eyed the Sassafrass,Juniper,Hawthorn

I have no idea what all the gravity is or any of that other stuff, I'm new to this and I was getting to impatient trying to save money for a home brew kit so I found a 5 gal pot a 5 gal water jug I did it all over an open fire and improvised like I was Miles Davis.

The Brew so far is black like stout or porter, I have sampled it and it tastes pretty hoppy, also I added a little more sugar close to 2 weeks in fermentation to up my alcohol content, I would like to add more.

But I'm wondering if I keep adding sugar during fermentation, Would that mess with my bottle conditioning when it comes time to bottle??

Doing it West Virginia style :mug:

Rock on with your sock on
have fun

Danimal

www.soundcloud.com/unkoolscam

I'm not really sure what I have done but so far it's working out great!.

1 lbs. Breiss Chocolate Malt
1 lbs. Breiss Caramel Malt
2 lbs. Breiss Dark DME
1 oz oats

1 oz tettnang pellet 60min
1 oz Cascade pellets 30min
2 oz Hops from an herb shop in town 30min
1 oz cascade leaf hops Dry hopped

Sassafrass
Juniper
Hawthorn
A little bit of coco
Elder berry (Added during boil and also dry added)
Black Currents (Dry added)
1 stick of Vanilla Bean (Dry Added)

I Eyed the Sassafrass,Juniper,Hawthorn

I have no idea what all the gravity is or any of that other stuff, I'm new to this and I was getting to impatient trying to save money for a home brew kit so I found a 5 gal pot a 5 gal water jug I did it all over an open fire and improvised like I was Miles Davis.

The Brew so far is black like stout or porter, I have sampled it and it tastes pretty hoppy, also I added a little more sugar close to 2 weeks in fermentation to up my alcohol content, I would like to add more.

But I'm wondering if I keep adding sugar during fermentation, Would that mess with my bottle conditioning when it comes time to bottle??

Doing it West Virginia style :mug:

Rock on with your sock on
have fun

Danimal

www.soundcloud.com/unkoolscam

Not sure what this is but I assure I was winging it like Winger (The Band). I'm new to this and my gear is not from a beer kit and I just went ahead and just jumped into using DME and straight up barley malts.

If anyone can tell me what this may be please do, I dont have any of those fancy readers either so I cant tell you about Gravity and what not.

1 lbs Breiss Chocolate malt
1 lbs Breiss Caramel malt
2 lbs Breiss DME dark beer powder
1 oz Oats

1 oz Tettnang pellet hops 60 min
1 oz Cascade pellet hops 30 min
2 oz hops from herb shop in town 15 min
1 oz cascade leaf hops Dry added

I then added (not by measurements)
Sassafrass
Juniper
Hawthorn
A Little bit of coco
Elderberry (During Boil and dry added)
Black Current (Dry added)
Vanilla Bean (Dry Added)

The Sugar I used were Molasses, Turbanado Sugar and Maple Syrup

Yeast I used was Wyeast Lager yeast my thermometer said that the wort was at 90 degrees so I pitched it in then I started thinking that it might of been to hot and might of not read it right so I added some ale yeast the next day.

I did it all over an open fire in the woods where I live and even used a maple stick for stirring ( How do ya like them apples)

I also added some more sugar a week and a half into fermentation and plan on adding more but does any one know if adding sugar now would mess with my carbonation when it comes time for bottle conditioning???

So far I have tasted some samples and wow It tastes really good and hoppy but not hoppy enough, but I aint complainin though.

Werd!
Enjoy

Dan

I dig it! Especially the open fire and stirring stick. No measurements is also kinda my style. Kudos to not being a beer Nazi. Once I get more comfortable with the process the measurements will stay in a drawer like they do for all my other cooking/baking.

Anyway, I think the beer gods would term this a CDA - cascadian dark ale. Or maybe just a black ipa. I'm not sure what the diff is, or if there even is one.

No offense but it just looks like a mess to me.

Not counting the sugar you'd be lucky if your beer ended up being 1.5% ABV. And that's if you properly steeped the malts and not just boiled them as it appears. The IBUs are at least 50 or 60.

If you added 3 lbs of sugar total you might get up to about 5% ABV.

Will be interested to hear how this turns out. Odds are, not very good.

I am pretty much a noob too but I don't think I would drink it tbh. Do whatever you want of course but most of the brewers that don't measure and watch numbers are guys that have done these things for years and know what to expect. I am very careful with my beers. I am a thirsty guy ;)

Back