Ported Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
If I buy and start using ported better bottles with the racking valve can I just prime the primary fermenter and bottle from there or should I still use a bottling bucket to prime and bottle? I like the idea of using a gravity system vs. siphoning. thanks for any info.

You'll want to get the beer off the trub in the primary before adding and mixing the priming sugar.

Use the port to rack off the trub in the primary to your bottling bucket and bottle as usual.

The better bottle makes a great bottling bucket. The adjustable racking arm not only makes transferring from the primary while leaving the yeast/trub easy, it allows scavenging the beer at bottling down to just a few ounces left in the BB. I have 4 of these bad boys now and will probably buy more.

And now, with the price of the glass carboys going through the roof, BB's make even more sense.

You can't prime in the primary without picking up a ton of undesirable gunk, but you can keg straight from it. I do it all the time. I love my ported BB.

Has anybody tried "porting" a better bottle...as in drilling your own hole? Their website advises against it, claiming the "tough and tightly stretched" PET is difficult to drill cleanly.

good call blind, i am interested in this too, damn sure got the tools. Actually I don't think it should matter about the pet plastic, a hole is a hole and as long as we use the correct methods to make a good seal around our valve it should be doalbe. I smell a project coming on. I will wait to see if anyone on here advises against it.

The ported bottle is only a few dollars more than the un-ported. The deal-breaker for me was the cost of the other "stuff". A ported bottle, spigot, racking adapter, dry airlock, bung, etc.... basically everything to ferment in a Better Bottle totals out to around $115!!! They get you on the other "stuff" you need to go with the bottle if you go that route. I just can't see plunking down $35 or $40 for the spigot and racking adapted when I can get a full-port 1/2" Stainless Steel ball valve for $15 or so. It just seems a little over-priced for me.

Has anybody tried "porting" a better bottle...as in drilling your own hole? Their website advises against it, claiming the "tough and tightly stretched" PET is difficult to drill cleanly.

I would highly recommend against it. I've done it successfully after doing it once unsuccessfully. So, I have a Better Bottle in a closet with a ported hole and a big crack coming off of the hole area. I just don't have the heart to throw it away.

The ported bottle is only a few dollars more than the un-ported.

True enough, but many of us already have several un-ported bottles.

You're quite right, the racking spigot/adapter is definitely overpriced, and it's bizarre that they sell it as two separate parts. It does have some advantages over a ball valve though, in that it can be completely disassembled for cleaning, as well as the adjustable racking tube. I've got one bottle with the spigot, and it's pretty slick. I use standard orange carboy caps and airlocks with my better bottles, no need for their cap or "dry trap."

You'd also have one heck of a time installing a ball valve when you can't reach inside!

It's definitely puzzling and frustrating that the bottles are reasonably priced, yet the accessories are outrageously high. The good news is that we really don't need any of them.

I would highly recommend against it. I've done it successfully after doing it once unsuccessfully. So, I have a Better Bottle in a closet with a ported hole and a big crack coming off of the hole area. I just don't have the heart to throw it away.

Good to know. How did you create the hole? I was considering a "butterfly" type spade bit at extremely slow speed, or a chassis punch.

Good to know. How did you create the hole? I was considering a "butterfly" type spade bit at extremely slow speed, or a chassis punch.

IIRC, (on the successful attempt) I first drilled a pilot hole with a small drill bit, then used a good quality (sharp) step drill bit very slowly to "embiggen" the hole to the right size.

I know this is an old thread, but...Midwest Supply sells ported BB with racking adapters and simple-flo valves for $56 for 6 gal - all you need additionally is installation rod. plug not included, but can still use medium standard bung:mug:

Back