ported BB for primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankHead

Reaction score
Im shopping for equipment so i can do my first brew. I was wondering if I could use the ported BB for my primary fermenter( Austin Homebrew Supply ) to make transfering to my secondary or bottling bucket easier. Im really new to brewing and wasnt sure what kind of preasure forms in the primary when the fermentation is really active in that first few days and wasnt sure if the seals and everything would hold up. I was thinking it would probably be ok as long as i use a blow off tube but just wasnt sure. thanks in advance.

No worries about fermenting in the ported bottle...It makes checking the gravity easy later to see if it's ready to bottle or secondary...

The only issue I have with a ported container is that if you have to use a water bath to cool the wort as it ferments. I just don't trust the spigots under water. Something to ponder.

The only issue I have with a ported container is that if you have to use a water bath to cool the wort as it ferments. I just don't trust the spigots under water. Something to ponder.
I'm either confused what you are saying or don't understand why a spigot couldn't be under water

what about the layer of yeast that drops to the bottom of the primary (i dont know what its called). Wont the the spigot being at the bottom transfer the yeast to the secondary, which defeats the purpose of the secondary.

The pickup moves so you can take a sample out of the yeast...I still transfer with an auto siphon...
My ported bottle is in an water bath as I type...No worries...

what about the layer of yeast that drops to the bottom of the primary (i dont know what its called). Wont the the spigot being at the bottom transfer the yeast to the secondary, which defeats the purpose of the secondary.
On the Better Bottle there is an internal tube that you can twist to raise it above the level of the trub. It is a nice feature.

is it an extra feature is is that standard? sorry for all the questions, ive just been trying to take in alot of information in a short time and its making my head hurt

thank you so much, they have an entire diagram on the website to show you how to rack from one carboy to another, thank you again. just one more question though. if im doing 5 gal batches do i need a blow off tube in a 6.5 gallon BB or will an airlock work?

I always use blowoff tubes at first in my better bottles, there is never as much headspace in there as say a 6.5 glass carboy.
After the major action has settled down, 7 to 10 days, I switch to a regular airlock for the rest of the time in my primary.

Actually the Better Bottles are only 6 gallons so to be safe I would have a blowoff tube available and just use it for the first few days.

thank you so much, they have an entire diagram on the website to show you how to rack from one carboy to another, thank you again. just one more question though. if im doing 5 gal batches do i need a blow off tube in a 6.5 gallon BB or will an airlock work?

Depends on the beer. I start with an airlock, but if I see the krausen really taking off, I switch it out to a blowoff. I've had two beers where I needed to go to a blowoff tube (my Trippel and this week my American IPA). That's certainly one nice touch to the clear BB - You can see if you're going to have a problem.

The ported BBs are nice, but I'd recommend disassembling the spigot port after you're done with the batch and cleaning all the pieces - otherwise you might see some junk build up in there.

thank you guys, i had planned on using a blow off tube for the first 2-3 days then switching to airlock for the rest of the time. I hate asking so many questions but ill just keep it to this thread so i dont have to make another one.
Im to do this Austin Homebrew Supply for my first batch. I noticed last night there are no hops included in the kit. Im sure this is do the malt being "hop flavored". should i try to add more hops durring the boil for a better taste or just follow the kit exactly for my first time? if so what kind of hops should i use? i think im over thinking this... :confused:

thank you guys, i had planned on using a blow off tube for the first 2-3 days then switching to airlock for the rest of the time. I hate asking so many questions but ill just keep it to this thread so i dont have to make another one.
Im to do this Austin Homebrew Supply for my first batch. I noticed last night there are no hops included in the kit. Im sure this is do the malt being "hop flavored". should i try to add more hops durring the boil for a better taste or just follow the kit exactly for my first time? if so what kind of hops should i use? i think im over thinking this... :confused:

The hops are included. "Extract kit includes: priming sugar, milled specialty grains in a muslin bag, hops, and detailed instructions. "

Edit: Just follow the instructions. Don't over think this. It is a kit and it has everything you need to make good beer. Just do that.

Start with the blowoff tube and move to an airlock just to be safe. I have 7 gallon primaries, and I still use a blowoff tube to be safe often times, and the move it an airlock after a couple of days.

At one point I was considering a ported better bottle, but I had the following reservations (with some input from my LHBS):

-spigots are a ripe source of infection
-given the above fact, you probably need to disassemble the spigot after each use
-you have to fish around with a plastic rod to take apart/assemble the spigot every time, which means that disassembling sucks
-what's so hard about using an autosiphon anyhow?

The hops are included. "Extract kit includes: priming sugar, milled specialty grains in a muslin bag, hops, and detailed instructions. "

Edit: Just follow the instructions. Don't over think this. It is a kit and it has everything you need to make good beer. Just do that.

I use supplies and kits from Austin Homebrew Supply almost exclusively. There will be packages of hops to add to your boil. They don't use "prehopped" extract. Their extract is fresh. Their kits have made excellent beers for me. You will likely be happy. You'll also learn a good starting point for your own recipe building down the road if you want to tweak it in some way. (My suggestion: Save the instruction sheet that comes with the kit.) As kaiser423 said, don't over think this.

-you have to fish around with a plastic rod to take apart/assemble the spigot every time, which means that disassembling sucks

My experience went something like this:
1) Read the instructions and looked at the pieces. 5 minutes.
2) First time fishing with the plastic rod: 30 seconds. Another minute or so to put the washers on, screw on the front piece, insert the inner piece.
3) Installs since then: 5-10 seconds. 30-60 seconds putting the washers on, screwing on the front piece, inserting the inner piece.

It is so easy a caveman can do it.

There's reasons not to like the BB spigots (they're expensive, they can harbor nasties that would love to infect your beer, they can be difficult to clean), but it is quite likely you'd find that the assembly/disassembly isn't one of them.

I'll take your word for it, since I don't own one. But it sure seemed like building a ship in a bottle to me.

Back