Portable stand ideas for continuous sparging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

solbergg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm going to be participating in the AHA big brew in early May. My beer club will be doing our brewing outside, and I was hoping to do a continuous sparge. The only problem is that I have a short tub Jeep wrangler, which really inhibits the amount of gear I can haul with me. I need a nice couple of stands that are portable (collapseable would be nice) and also able to withstand 100 lbs of weight. Any ingenious ideas on this one? Oh, and I'm crap at DIY

Step ladder with a piece of plywood screwed to the top. Stacked milk crates that double as equipment carriers.

Portable brewing is always begging for batch sparging IMHO unless you really have a nice portable rig figured out.

Boerderij Kabouter said:
How big of vessels? A utility cart would be really nice 2 tier if you are doing 5g batches.

Yeah, just 5 gallons. What kind of utility cart are you referring to?

Boerderij Kabouter said:
Something like this.

A good idea, but much larger than a standard wrangler would be able to handle. Would be awesome for a garage though, I'll have to keep that in mind.

olllllo has the right idea though (and has clearly seen the inside of a Jeep). Probably one of those fold up work tables along with a milk crate for the MLT would do the job. Bobby, this is a stupid question, but where do you buy milk crates? I don't recall seeing them for sale anywhere.

Notice the rack on the spare tire.

3712-smCIMG0335.JPG

Wow, a Rubi, I'm jealous. And that rack looks about perfect. My only concern is that the weight would put too much much of a lever on the tailgate. I've heard that people that have put large tires on the stock tire holder tend to bend their tailgates. Then again, doing this an hour a month probably wouldn't be so bad.

olllllo said:
It supposed to be rated to 70#'s

The only one I found mounted through the spare tire cap. My tires don't have a removal cap in the center, so I might be screwed.

I had an idea that might work - wire shelving! Most of these are comprised of 4 posts with shelves that just slide onto them. The only problem is that I have no idea where to buy these locally. Anyone ever picked these up before? If so, at what retailer (or kind of retailer)?

Back