portable kegerator for long term

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonpce

Reaction score
Has anyone used a portable kegerator (trash can) for several months. If so how much trouble was it with water build up etc? I currently have the money for a kegging system but not for a fridge or freezer. I would like to start kegging but it will be at least 6 months before the freezer.

CO2 levels varies greatly depending on the temperature of your beer. To carb to normal levels, youd need around 30psi if your beer sits at room temps but only 10psi at fridge temps. I would think if you are having to constantly swtich out ice to keep the beer cool, this could be a hassle to get consistent results. I guess what im trying to say it the portable kegerators are best used for that purpose, not as a long term kegerator.

That being said, you could do it, just may be more work than its worth. The carb levels should equalize when the beer cools down but youll have to constantly adjust the regulator pressure to compensate

You could sugar prime with2/3 cup of table sugar and let it sit for 2-2.5 weeks in room temp. Will carb up fine, then chill it down with ice and use the CO2 to dispense.

I would think it would work fine, though I have no experience with it. Free fridge on Clist (if you look hard enough) and a picnic tap could be easier though. I own 5 fridges/freezers and have not paid for any of them(outside of the one that was in our house when we bought).

Has anyone used a portable kegerator (trash can) for several months. If so how much trouble was it with water build up etc? I currently have the money for a kegging system but not for a fridge or freezer. I would like to start kegging but it will be at least 6 months before the freezer.

From my experience, the gas/serving equipment is pricier than a freezer. Obviously there are 2 sides to that coin. Could you not pick up a cheap deep freeze on Craigslist? If you are scheduling it out, you could do as below maybe. It would get you kegging sooner rather than later without a lot of wasted purchases. Obviously some assumptions were made...

Iteration 1:
Cheap Craigslist Deep Freeze
Priming Sugar to carb

Iteration 2 (Able to serve beer):
CO2 Tank
Tank Regulator
Party Tap(s)
Lines

Iteration 3:
Smaller regulators
Shut Off/Check Valves

Iteration 4: