Portable Induction Cookers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewMBrew

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations for regular 120 V induction cookers.

Does anyone currently use one? I live in an apartment where propane use/storage is prohibited. Looking to do full 5 Gal boils with an 8 gallon induction capable kettle. I know some of them aren't "supposed" to be used with that much weight or volume, but does anyone have experience using them? I'm just sick of using my stove-top and worried about the toll the weight is putting on the electric coil elements.

I know there are other threads on this, but they seem to always turn into a discussion about induction brewing and are a couple years old by now.

Thanks!

We've used portable induction "burners" in RVs for years, as opposed to using the standard installed gas ranges. In fact, or current RV has an installed 2 burner induction setup. Our home range has an all-induction cook top. I LOVE induction cooking.

The down side is of course the weight of the pot, especially when full. I wouldn't use anything larger than a 3 gallon stock pot for fear of damaging the unit.

I have (what I thought) was a steel stock pot that I'd used for some time on a propane burner for boiling small batches to make wort/yeast starters. Triple-ply clad copper bottom. Apparently the iron content of the steel, or maybe the chrome cladding, doesn't conduct well enough and I could never get it to work on a portable induction.

Some heavy duty commercial grade induction units might support 5~8 gal. batch sized pots, but they'll cost you some big $$$. Just make darn sure your boil pot has the right metallurgy to to work on an induction surface.

Haha. Nice thread revival. My 2 cents...
I have an 1800 watt NuWave Titanium. I don't use it to brew, but I bet it would boil a few gallons easy. There is no way it would boil 5 gallons in an 8 gallon kettle. I may have to do some tests....

Back