portable beer with carbonation cap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucfanmike

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used the search and read a couple threads and want to make sure I understood what I read. I will be going on my extended camping trip in a couple weeks. I have an oatmeal stout ready to keg and by the time i go camping ill have a hefe also. My plan is to fill about 2 or 3 PET bottles with each of these brews and then keg the rest. The kegs will stay at home on gas to carb. On the PET bottles with uncarbed beer I want to use homemade carbonation caps to purge the oxygen of course and bring them camping. Once chilled I would hit these with more co2 to quick carbonate for serving each night as needed. Does anyone else use this method? Will this work?

I plan on building a coldplate cooler for next year, but I've spent too much on building my kegerator this year so that has to wait.

Mike in Duluth

Should work fine that way, just make sure the beer is nice and cold before carbonating. I normally carb my sodas in a two liter bottle using a Carbonator cap. I just depress the poppet and squeeze the bottle until all the air is forced out, make sure you leave a little extra headspace in the bottle if you're using this method, and then hook up 30 lbs of C02. I disconnect and shake until the bottle goes soft, hit it with CO2 and shake again. After about a minute of that the bottle stays hard and it's ready to drink. You probably wouldn't want to shake too long with that amount of pressure if you're just trying to reach 2-2.5 volumes for beer.

Portable beer?

PDR_0185_2_.jpg

IMAG0017.JPG

IMAG00161.JPG

When I use 2 liter bottles with a carbonator cap, I follow this process:

- Leave some headspace in the bottle.
- Zap the bottle with 30psi.
- Remove CO2 connector.
- Shake the crap out of the bottle. Repeat about half a dozen times.
- Let the bottle settle a while, or you will get a surprise.

If you overcarb the bottle like that, you can remove the carbonator cap and put on a regular cap (very tightly). You will retain enough CO2 that way.

:mug:

Oh, believe me Cpt_Kirks, I have read every post on portable systems. Have my eye on building a portable system for next year. Have to go easy for awhile as I just got into brewing in the last few months. Since then I have set myself up for AG and built a keezer. SWMBO ..well must be obeyed lol

Mike

Back