Portable 3 gallon kegerator. 3D printed parts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mritravis

Reaction score
I decided to build a portable kegerator. I researched here and based mine off one of the ones on here. I decided to make some changes via 3D printed parts. I used an Igloo 5 gallon rolling water cooler. It fits a 3 gallon corny keg. I mounted a 20oz paintball tank and mini regulator on the back. It has a direct tap and gas input. I designed and 3D printed plugs for both transport and when input and out are connected. I also designed and printed a custom drip tray and insert that matches the jug profile. I haven’t done a maiden run yet but soon.

Attachments

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
Really nice and the color matching make the project like commercial products 👍.
Yeah, those matching colors make that thing legit. If that was in a store it would be screaming, "buy me !"
Nice work Mr Travis !!

OP
M

Mritravis

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I took it on its maiden run. It pours very fast. I am going to change out the tap for a perlick flow control tap. Other than dialing the serving pressure in, it worked awesome!

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I took it on its maiden run. It pours very fast. I am going to change out the tap for a perlick flow control tap.
Or coil 6-10' of 4mm EVA Barrier line around the keg to create more resistance and keep CO2 in solution.

Big kudos to you for design and fabrication!

RocketBrewer

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Or coil 6-10' of 4mm EVA Barrier line around the keg to create more resistance and keep CO2 in solution.

Big kudos to you for design and fabrication!
I second this suggestion, should work much better and be cheaper than a flow control faucet.
Awesome job on the build! That's amazing, I wish I had one!

OP
M

Mritravis

Reaction score
Maybe you should sell a kit with the printed parts so others could build these!
May have to think about that. The only problem I see is that the lid has to be modified from the bottom for a 3 gallon keg to work. I will have to post some pictures of this. I think a 2.5 may work better.

OP
M

Mritravis

Reaction score
I second this suggestion, should work much better and be cheaper than a flow control faucet.
Awesome job on the build! That's amazing, I wish I had one!
The only problem I see with this is the tap is directly mounted to the keg. If I use line I would need to build some type of mount for the tap. It would not be that hard to design and print a mini tower to mount the tap to but I already have a flow control. I plan on trying that first.

GrowleyMonster

Reaction score
What would be really cool is running the beer line to the original water cooler spigot. It would look perfectly innocent until you put a beer glass under the spout instead of a paper cup, and get a beautiful amber stout out of it. Maybe use the little disposable cartridges so you could have the CO2 system hidden, too.

Homebrew Harry

Reaction score
What would be really cool is running the beer line to the original water cooler spigot. It would look perfectly innocent until you put a beer glass under the spout instead of a paper cup, and get a beautiful amber stout out of it. Maybe use the little disposable cartridges so you could have the CO2 system hidden, too.
One for stealth mode would be nice, but I need the other one too !

Reaction score
That thing looks pretty F'in awesome! Looks commercial for sure. If you decide not to sell finished coolers or 'kits' maybe you could put your 3D print files on here or etsy for sale. I have bought several 3D files and CNC router files off of etsy. Might be a start.

I think you are right, a 2.5 gallon keg would maybe fit better and not require you to cut so much of the lid up. Not cutting the lid might also keep the cold in.

Can you post pics of the underside of the lid with all the attachments... Attached?