Port wine experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Descender

Reaction score
Decided to make a sweet dessert wine. Here's what's happened so far:

Boiled 1/2 pound of sliced raw almonds and 2 lb. of raisins for an hour. Strained and reserved the juice. Pitched a gallon of cranberry juice (just cran, no blend) onto the yeast cake from a batch of mead D47). Added 5 cans of white grape/passionfruit concentrate and cooled almond/raisin juice. Added 1 quart of honey and 4 lbs. of table sugar. Then stuffed a leg of a pantyhose with a pound of blackberries and two lbs. of tripple berry smoothie crumbles. Water to about the 4 gallon mark. Then 2 tsp of nutrient. Took off like a charm. 3 days later, added 2 bananas and a gallon of cran-raspberry blend. After a week more, added 750 ml bottle of E+J brandy. After 3 days, I'm still getting bubbles in the airlock. Oh yeah, two lbs. of sliced strawberries on the first day lol. Too many ingredients. Will keep you posted.

Hmm, without SG readings and the proof of the brandy(at work, can't look it up, lol) can't give much advice other than to hit it with some more brandy to up the ABV to kill off the wee yeasty beasties. Good luck, sounds delicious!

Yeah, didn't take SG readings because I knew the honey and sugar wouldn't have been fully dissolved. Plus, with that much fruit, it would change. I'm just gonna let it go until it stops, then add more brandy and sweeten.

SWMBO just brought home three 1 pound bags of frozen blackberries. $1.69 each. Guess they're going in there too lol.

Took a gravity reading today. It was well below 1.0. Tasted good, but dry. Added 3 lbs. of frozen blackberries and 4 lbs. of table sugar. Just gonna keep feeding this thing until it poops out.

Would you all recommend a MLF on this? It has now been racked to a 6.5 Better Bottle and topped up with a bottle of tawny port and sweet red box wine. VERY dark in color.

Back