Pork Loin again... Not a rant I promise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Hey all... SWMBO picked up another boneless pork loin. It looks beautiful, but I've tried just about everything I usually do with pork to pork loins at this point.

Any favorite recipes you wouldnt mind sharing?

Pork loin is too lean for me so I would butterfly and pound until it was about 24" square. Stuff it with, spinach, basil, mushrooms, onions, hard boiled eggs, pine nuts and Romano cheese, or whatever you have on hand(braciole). Braise it in a pan with some white wine. Serve with your favorite pasta and a cream sauce

Full loin? Like 10-15lbs?

Wrap the whole thing in bacon, coat heavily with your favorite barbecue rub, and smoke over Hickory until 135* - let rest at least ten minutes before slicing.

Optionally, inject with a lot of Guinness (or better, a homebrewed stout ;)) and let rest overnight before smoking.

Marinade in orange juice + salt, pepper, paprika (maybe some curry powder if you feel adventurous)

Dry rub of salt, pepper, lotsa paprika (maybe some curry powder if you feel adventurous)

Grill the loin, simmer the marinade to make a sauce.

Serve with the sauce and fresh mint.

Mix up some Caribbean Jerk seasoning. Slather the loin with maple syrup, then apply a heavy coat of the seasoning. Save a tablespoon or so of the seasoning.Smoke it low and slow, about 6 hours until it hits 135F, then wrap it in foil and let rest while you prepare some bacon and apple slaw.

Jullinne a few granny smith apples and add a tablespoon of real mayo and a dash of olive oil, mix well with a sprinkle of the jerk seasoning.

Fry the bacon as usual.

Once it's done, let it drain,
Slice the loin, then top with apple slaw and bacon.

KILLER!!!

Pork loin is definitely one of those cuts that can get old after a while. I've done the following three things with it with good results, though.

Cut into chops, pound out, bread and fry to make schnitzel. Either eat it with a spritz of lemon for wiener schnitzel or with a mushroom bacon cream sauce for jaeger schnitzel. Serve with spaetzle, sauerkraut and some crusty rolls. Oh, and some good german beer.

Since pork loin is so lean and can be dry, I've found that brining it just like you would a turkey works very well. Try apple juice for the brine's base, along with aromatic spices.

And the brined pork at this link has also turned out well for me.

Not enough fat in pork loin for smoking. But that's just me...

I've had excellent results brining and smoking at 225*F. Pulling off the smoker when it hits 150*F.

IMAG00561.jpg

Try Kalua Pork. You will have to search for a recipe as the one I have is "ancient family secret" but recipes are out there.

the best one i make is rolled pork loin, little tricky part is to cut it the way so you get one flat squareish piece of meat (use really sharp knife and work on it on the counter as you would unroll it cutting away slowly)
Then spread paste of your choice and making ( lots of choices here but i often make dark olives paste, briefly chop olives and fried with fine chopped onion butter or olive oil, seller stack add broth, wine or beer to liquify it a little, cool down and add some shredded cheese). After spreading thin layer (1/4-1/3 of thickens of meat) roll it back in, tie with some kitchen twine, when i grill it i use wrap some bacon on top, if in the oven sometimes i skip bacon and cover with aluminum foil, cook it to tem you prefer, i go for 140F or so.
Color of the paste plays a role when serving thats why black olives but i made it with spinach and some other ingredients, looks cool too

Not enough fat in pork loin for smoking. But that's just me...

Totally agree, unless done right. You've really got to baby it, whereas something like a butt, ribs, etc is naturally suited to the smoker. Wrapping it in bacon seems to help an awful lot. I also pull my pork loin at 135* (rises to ~145 after some resting) to keep it just a little pink.

i'VE STUFFED WITH SPINACH AND FETA CHEESE. OOPS

and some oil and spices and grilled. And lately I've just put a rub on it and grilled it and it was great.

All of those other ideas sound good to me too. I haven't gotten tired of trying different things yet.

i just pan sear in a hot cast iron pan, then pour on a mixture of maple syrup with a bit of molasses, and throw it in the oven until it's done.

Pork loin is a great cut of meat for brining, if you find yours a bit on the dry side. I like using it for pork normandy - braised with apple brandy, thyme, sliced apples, nutmeg, and cream in a rich stock. Lots of good recipes out there for it.

i'VE STUFFED WITH SPINACH AND FETA CHEESE. OOPS

and some oil and spices and grilled. And lately I've just put a rub on it and grilled it and it was great.

All of those other ideas sound good to me too. I haven't gotten tired of trying different things yet.

You are so effing wierd, lol...

TEMP is more important than what you put on it!

Overcooked porkloin or turkey, no matter how well seasoned SUCKS!!

Digital Thermometer is the best recipe.......

After that is covered my slime thyme lime loin is pretty magical....

Marinate in salt, thyme, pepper, olive oil and lime juice overnight.

Sear in a large skillet to brown on all sides. remove to casserole dish and insert probe. Bake at 350F until 135F.

In the skillet, deglaze with a little milk, add flour and more milk to make a gravy, season with essence, thyme, salt and pepper and lime juice (yes in the gravy).

Rest the loin, slice and serve with gravy (slime)

Rest the loin

Rest it.......

rest....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pork loin is a great cut of meat for brining, if you find yours a bit on the dry side. I like using it for pork normandy - braised with apple brandy, thyme, sliced apples, nutmeg, and cream in a rich stock. Lots of good recipes out there for it.

+1 on the brine. I'll have to try that recipe - sounds great.

I always stuff the loin like a pinwheel and smoke it like usual after a day of brining. My favorite stuffing is garlic, cream cheese, and spinach with applewood smoke. A close second would be mushrooms and cornbread stuffing.

Back