Poppit replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMessenger

Reaction score
One of my kegs leaks through the poppit on the in post, which is fine if it's always hooked up to the gas, but also a pain in the ass. It's a Firestone keg, so I bought one of each of the Firestone poppits at Morebeer (there were two, one for old Firestone and another for the more common one-- I got one of each because I don't know what I have), but today when I removed the post I couldn't figure out how to remove the poppit to replace it. I've attached pictures. Am I missing something?

image.jpg

Thanks, I'll try to pry that white plastic out again. It didn't seem to budge when I was poking at it earlier, it I'll give it another try. :)

I've been working on getting the plastic piece out, but that bugger is stuck in there. Is there a trick to it?

The plastic is sometime optional. It sometimes help to get the disconnect to seal.

I've always used a wooden chopstick to force the old poppet out.

The plastic is sometime optional. It sometimes help to get the disconnect to seal.

I've always used a wooden chopstick to force the old poppet out.

Something must be wrong with this one, then. I would break a chopstick if I tried that. I've been using a large staple (the kind for tacking electrical wires) to try to pry it out, and it won't budge. I wonder if someone sealed it in there or something.

Something must be wrong with this one, then. I would break a chopstick if I tried that. I've been using a large staple (the kind for tacking electrical wires) to try to pry it out, and it won't budge. I wonder if someone sealed it in there or something.

The black gasket is peculiar. But, the prongs on some poppets can also be unforgiving. I've had a few that just would not budge until I got something behind the prong to pry it loose. Impossible for you to do until you get that nylon spacer out tho'.

It looks as is someone used black silicone or rtv to "seal" the plastic insert. If you don't care about needing to replace the poppet itself, you could use an appropriately sized ram to push through the outside, hopefully knocking out the plastic insert as well.

If the keg was a new purchase, I'd approach the vendor about the problems.

It looks as is someone used black silicone or rtv to "seal" the plastic insert. If you don't care about needing to replace the poppet itself, you could use an appropriately sized ram to push through the outside, hopefully knocking out the plastic insert as well.

If the keg was a new purchase, I'd approach the vendor about the problems.

I think you're right. I cannot get the black out. I purchased the keg used for $20, and it's worked just fine for years, so I'm not going to complain. I think that I'll try to punch out the poppit and just replace the whole thing if I'm unsuccessful. Thanks, folks!

I got it out with a small screwdriver and a hammer! Unfortunately, neither of the Firestone poppets from Morebeer fit-- they're both too short. At least I can see what was wrong with my old one, though: the rubber o-ring on the poppet was cracked.

It looks like you have a similar problem to the one I had, only opposite, if that makes any sense! I once bought 3 Cornelius brand kegs and they had a hodgepodge of posts on them that I believe are Firestone type. I also couldn't get poppets that would work, so I had to buy Cornelius posts and poppets. Your posts look like Cornelius style.

I have 2 of the gas-in posts and 4 of the beer-out posts that I don't need. PM me and maybe we can work out a deal. Maybe someone else can verify what these fit.

IMG_0002.JPG

Maybe someone else can verify what these fit.

It looks like they would be for Spartanburg or Firestone Challenger V, VI, and Super Challenger kegs, based on the low profile nut size, guessing 7/8". They have different thread sizes on the same keg for the gas and liquid sides. Gas thread size is 9/16"-18, Liquid thread size is 5/8" -18. If they are not "interchangeable" on the same keg, that's what you got.

UpstateMike: Thanks for the info. I actually have more of a hodgepodge than I thought. All I have are the Cornelius kegs, so I can say that the gas posts do fit the thread on the Cornies, but I actually have two different style beer-out posts. Here's a photo of them. The one on the left fits the thread of the Cornies, but the one on the right is a very loose wobbly fit. The loose wobbly one is marked "2-KL-F HANSEN BEREA OHIO USA".

RMessenger: I think you may need different posts on your kegs to get them to work, so if we can determine whether I have the ones you need, I could send them to you, no charge.

IMG_0001.JPG

It looks like they would be for Spartanburg or Firestone Challenger V, VI, and Super Challenger kegs, based on the low profile nut size, guessing 7/8". They have different thread sizes on the same keg for the gas and liquid sides. Gas thread size is 9/16"-18, Liquid thread size is 5/8" -18. If they are not "interchangeable" on the same keg, that's what you got.

Yes, that's them. They are not interchangeable. Thanks!

UpstateMike: Thanks for the info. I actually have more of a hodgepodge than I thought. All I have are the Cornelius kegs, so I can say that the gas posts do fit the thread on the Cornies, but I actually have two different style beer-out posts. Here's a photo of them. The one on the left fits the thread of the Cornies, but the one on the right is a very loose wobbly fit. The loose wobbly one is marked "2-KL-F HANSEN BEREA OHIO USA".

RMessenger: I think you may need different posts on your kegs to get them to work, so if we can determine whether I have the ones you need, I could send them to you, no charge.

I wouldn't mind paying for them.

Back