Popping my Cherry!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Dogman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yessss!

Finally! Today is my very first Brew Day! I will be brewing and extract with steeping grains. It will be an American Pale Ale. I'm so excited! I will be starting right around noon.

Wish me luck guys!

Biggest things to remember...

1. Relax and take notes (you want to get better everytime you brew)
2. Take your gravity ready after you make sure to mix your wort thoroughly (presuming that you are not doing a full boil and adding water to the wort in the fermenter)
3. Rehydrate your yeast if you are using a packet of dry yeast (don't just sprinkle the yeast on top)
4. Let the yeast do their part and finish before bottling (secondary is not needed for a Pale Ale)
5. Relax and enjoy the spoils of a great hobby!

Good luck on a wonderful hobby. You will enjoy it, I know I have.
Just a word of advice. No matter how much your tempted don't squeeze the Muslin Bag. I made that mistake on my first brew. If you squeeze it you might get an off flavor in your finished product you wont like.

Nice!

I will be doing a full boil and have adjusted my hop additions accordingly. I didn't want to mess with an extra step of adding non boiled water to the fermenter!

I AM EXCITED!

Well just finished pitching my yeast around 2 o'clock. That was a lot of fun! Thoughts from first brew:

Boil overs suck, but are easy to manage.

Rubble check equipment before use.... My diy immersion chiller fell apart on me and sprayed water everywhere... Some got into the pot a couple of times, hope it's ok.

Cleaning up right away is a must.

Otherwise! What a blast! Can't wait to do it again!

Well just finished pitching my yeast around 2 o'clock. That was a lot of fun! Thoughts from first brew:

Boil overs suck, but are easy to manage.

Rubble check equipment before use.... My diy immersion chiller fell apart on me and sprayed water everywhere... Some got into the pot a couple of times, hope it's ok.

Cleaning up right away is a must.

Otherwise! What a blast! Can't wait to do it again!

All great things to learn from a first brew. You seem to have a positive attitude and that will only make it better. Cheers to you and congrats I'm sure it'll turn out great!

- ISM NRP

Congrats on your first pitch. As you know, ours is an awesome hobby.

As others have said, give the yeast time and room to work. Home brewing will teach you patience!

Back