Poppet springs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalc6927

Reaction score
I bought used kegs and while taking them apart I noticed a few had different spring assemblies.

One had a larger spring without a base and the other had a spring with a 3-legged base.

Does it matter which type of spring assembly I use?

Reason I ask is that the new poppet fittings I ordered all came with the larger spring

These are all ball lock kegs

Thank you

wrt oem poppets it definitely does matter; there are at least five different poppets out there for a reason. One should avoid mixing them up.

Poppets%20-%205%20lineup.jpg

https://www.chicompany.net/beer-store/ball-pin-lock-kegs-parts/ball-lock-keg-parts/poppets

Otoh "christmas tree" style "universal poppets" with the tapered coil springs
are a bit more "universal" though on short posts (eg: Firestone Challenger 5 & 6 and Super Challenger) a loop or two might need trimming...

Cheers!

They're MOSTLY universal but not ENTIRELY universal. There's the occasional post/poppet/spring assembly that will be slightly differently sized than the rest. Learned that the hard way when stripping/cleaning multiple at once and mixing a few up and spending a while diagnosing why one keg's posts kept jamming. After getting that sorted out I make sure not to mix them up any more.

The one I got online did not have the same base

Am I correct to assume that as long as I use the entire assembly, however it comes, it will be ok?

Poppets%20-%205%20lineup.jpg

How does a person remove this type of poppet with the "legs"?

On the firestone kegs that I've replaced with oem style poppets, I typically destroy the poppet when I remove it since the legs hook into a ledge internal to the post itself.

This is just one of many reasons why I like the universal poppets now. I used to keep a couple dozen poppets on hand since I had so many different kegs and I wanted to make sure I could replace any poppets. Now I just keep a handful of the universal poppets, and I call it good.

And by universal you mean the kind that is just the spring without the feet?

yup, with the separate top piece the nestles inside the tapered spring. The top piece also uses an o-rings, rather than a non-replaceable seal.

Back