Poppet Disassembly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurologist

Life's Too Short To Drink Garbage Beer
Reaction score
Am in the process of cleaning and refurbishing the gaskets on my corny kegs, are the poppets on the ball-lock fittings designed to be removed for cleaning/sanitation and if so is there a trick to their removal as I'm apparently a bit thick in the head and having no luck with that process.

Yes. You can unscrew the liquid and gas posts with a wrench (either a crescent, socket, spark plug socket) and "pop" or push the poppets out from the top with a screwdriver. Sometimes they will fall out naturally.

A word of caution: put the gas and liquid posts and poppets in separate bowls/cups and don't get them mixed up (read: don't do this task tipsy). Also, on the diagram, note how the gas posts usually have a notch at the bottom compared to the bottom of the liquid post. This is an easy way to determine where the beer will come from when you can't see the "in" and "out" markings and lost your reading glasses. Some folks put a different color O-ring on their gas and liquid posts, but that would be too easy...

1612529829146.png

Last edited:
Am in the process of cleaning and refurbishing the gaskets on my corny kegs, are the poppets on the ball-lock fittings designed to be removed for cleaning/sanitation and if so is there a trick to their removal as I'm apparently a bit thick in the head and having no luck with that process.

Depends on the post: on some types, the poppet will literally drop out. On others, the points of the three legs rest atop a ledge carved into the post interior. On those one uses a thin tool to pop each leg off the ledge - usually it only takes one but sometimes two for them to fall out...

Cheers!

Yes. You can unscrew the liquid and gas posts with a wrench (either a crescent, socket, spark plug socket) and "pop" or push the poppets out from the top with a screwdriver. Sometimes they will fall out naturally.

A word of caution: put the gas and liquid posts and poppets in separate bowls/cups and don't get them mixed up (read: don't do this task tipsy). Also, on the diagram, note how the gas posts usually have a notch at the bottom compared to the bottom of the liquid post. This is an easy way to determine where the beer will come from when you can't see the "in" and "out" markings and lost your reading glasses. Some folks put a different color O-ring on their gas and liquid posts, but that would be too easy...

View attachment 717309
Why the recommendation to keep the poppets with their post? I guess perhaps if a poppet has been replaced incorrectly but "works" might be a reason. Or if it is worn and works on one side? In general, the poppets are the same from the manufacturer, but can differ between keg manufacturers.

I was a little rough with one of those poppets that seat and broke one brand new which I was a bit pissed about because the manufacturer specific ones can be a couple bucks each. Plus it's not something you just reorder because shipping may be involved. "Pick" sets are available from hardware stores/online that I find are helpful to have for different uses, including hooking those little legs. These are like small screwdriver handles with bent wiry ends of different configurations. Also, I have a set of different shaped tweezers for repairs, (by have I mean they are somewhere in the house). Needle-nose pliers can work but the legs are thin. (Not how I broke it.)

@friarsmith Thanks for the diagram, I had read up on the kegs and even watched a video on them, but the poppets in that situation just fell out while mine did not, hence my near panic at the prospect of spending yet more cash on this "cheap" excursion.

@day_trippr Yup, my poppets have the shelf that the legs ride on, could not seem to get the needle nosed pliers manipulated in such a way as to get the second leg to cooperate, they are quite stout for their size and seemed to be quite resistant to my efforts.

@passedpawn Yeah lately my luck with "little slams" is it never ends well, it always seems to result with my needing to replace the slammed pieces, my days of using a bigger hammer are about done haha.

Ended up using the flat end of the needle nose pliers to gently apply downward pressure on the poppet and they nearly fell out, was really anti-climactic to be honest.

In looking at rebuild kits for the kegs I do not see replacement o-rings in those for the poppets, is this just something we are having to source on our own, thanks again for the fast replies and solid information, it is much appreciated as I get up to speed on these systems.

yeah, poppets are usually overlooked. It doesn't matter if they leak when you have the QDs on..... Take the poppet apart by rotating the legs until the bump on the shaft lines up with the notch and it slides apart. measure the o ring. I used 007 or 008 size on older kegs. The new Old Ale brand use metric there. You want EPDM for food grade, something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Sea...eywords=epdm+008+o+ring&qid=1612626869&sr=8-7

again, measure yours, we probably have different brands.

Back