Popped open Primary for gravity Ready

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Brewed my first partial mash on Dec 16th. An IPA, so after a decent time in primary I took a gravity reading of 1.020. OG was 1.050. I have never had a beer stall here before and its also my first partial mash. Primary was in basement which is 60-65 f temperature. These was the recipe.

50% 4Lbs Canadian Two-row
38% 3Lbs Light Dry Malt Extract
13% 1LBS Crystal 45L

boil 1oz 60 mins 1.0 Warrior (15.2 AA)
boil .5oz 15 mins 0.5 Amarillo (8.5 AA)
boil .5oz 15 mins 0.5 Simcoe (12.2 AA)
boil .5oz 5 mins 0.5 Amarillo (8.5 AA)
boil .5oz 5 mins 0.5 Simcoe (12.2 AA)

Dry hop 1oz Simcoe
Safle 04 pitched at 70

Batch size: 5.0 gallons. 4 gal boil.

Procedure

Heated 2gal to 165, added grains BIAB. Hit 155. Stirred alot. Realized after 15 minutes the bottom of pot was alot hotter then top so added cold water and stirred alot. Got my temp and held it fine. Used 5 gal paint strainer in 5 gal pot. This was dont for 45 mins

Heated another 2 gal to 170. held grains in there for 15 minutes. stirring as well.

Added all wort into one pot and started my 60 min boil. Took 2 hours to cool outdoors in the winter. Sub zero weather, pitched at 70f.

My OG was 1.048, a touch low probably added too much top off water.

So I threw in my dry hops anyways, and it tasted great. Should I be worried about the 1.020? and does anyone know what casued this. My partial mash didnt hit perfect temps. and my primary was a touch cold.

Let it ferment longer. Rouse the yeast if you have to in order to start fermentation again. Think about warming it up more if rousing the yeast doesn't do the trick.

Great and now i have my dry hops in there I have to warm it up fast. if it tastes good why should I bother?

Great and now i have my dry hops in there I have to warm it up fast. if it tastes good why should I bother?

Depends, are you bottling or kegging the beer? If you are bottling, it would be the best idea to let it ferment out because you risk bottle bombs if it starts to finish fermenting in the bottles + priming sugar. If you are kegging the beer and it tastes good at 1.020, you are satisfied with it and you don't feel like fussing with it... then drink it! :tank:

PET bottles can handle more pressure than glass bottles can, but I really wouldn't risk a stalled fermentation in a bottle at all. Last thing you want is exploding bottles, even though plastic wouldn't be as dangerous as glass you can have a huge mess!

If I decide to bottle is there anything I can do to reduce the risk of bombs then? I just put in dry hops so I cant let this batch sit forever while I wait for it to ferment again.

Will it really continue to Ferment at such a slow pace? if so that is cool I just would have never assumed it would.

Would I do myself any good transfering the beer to a secondary to shake up the yeast and placing the secondary in room temperature?

I put dry hops in a few days back so I cant leave the beer on the hops for longer then 10 days.

What temp has it been fermenting at? Are you in the 65-75 range, or is it lower in your fermentation area?

Also, when mashing high like you suggested might have happened the first 15 min (the most important 15 minutes of the process), you will have lower attenuation than if you mashed between 145-155 from the start.

What is your calculated FG?

Appreciate the quick response. My F.G. was calculated at 1.014. The entire fermentation took place between 60-65F. So definitly on the low side. I had heard something about a hot mash effecting the attenuation so that could have been the problem.

You may have soem CO2 in solution that is affecting the hydrometer reading.
Shake up the sample and let it sit. Repeat until all CO2 is removed and check again.

Also make sure you take temperature of the beer during the reading into account.

If the majority of the fermentation is complete, feel safe about raising the temp up a bit and see if that kick starts the yeast into eating some more.

yeah, i think you get more unfermentables at a higher mash temp than one at 150. that could explain your reading,but give it a swirl and heat up 5 degrees or so for a while or even do as you said and rack it and leave for a week at a warmer temp. from what i know if its an ipa and higher alcohol then it finiishes within a higher range. I think its the crystal malt. i made a basic ale with just extract and steeped crystal and my finish was 1.016 which i thought was high for a basic ale, just unfermentables i guess.

Back