Popped my first top :-(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer's been in the bottle two weeks and put a couple in the fridge yesterday. Popped the first one a couple minutes ago. Heard a little pssst. Poured in the glass and it appears I did not get full carbonation. Boo. Guess I'll try again. It's a Scottish ale. Looks brown in the pic but it's actually pretty reddish. Taste is good. View attachment 345743

What did you use to carbonate, and how much for how much beer? What temperature were you storingme bottles at to condition?

Used 5 oz of the priming sugar that came with the kit. 5 gallon batch. The temp stays around 70 in the area the bottles were in. Some people on facebook are saying the same thing. Might need more time. Someone said to agitate the bottles may be to reactivate the yeast.

I'm not discouraged. I'm still drinking it. The taste is perfect

If you give it a bit more time and still nothing, it's a pain, but you can open all of them and drop in a pinch of CBC bottle conditioning yeast and wait a few more days...that saved a batch of mine

im not sure yet which is worst! My first batch was all gushers due to under attenuation. Id def just sterilize everything with starsan in a spray bottle pop the caps and toss in a bit of yeast then recap. Assuming it doesn't kick in with better carb by next week. At least the taste is on point!

I always give my bottled beers a good 3 to 4 weeks for good carbonation. 2 weeks has never quite been enough for me. I bet they'll just get better from here.

Used 5 oz of the priming sugar that came with the kit. 5 gallon batch. The temp stays around 70 in the area the bottles were in. Some people on facebook are saying the same thing. Might need more time. Someone said to agitate the bottles may be to reactivate the yeast.

I'm not discouraged. I'm still drinking it. The taste is perfect

Another thing to consider is where. My cousin had a batch that was under-carbed despite the basement being 72F and the bottles already had two weeks conditioning on them. Came to find out the bottles were on a much colder concrete floor, so the yeast got sluggish. After moving the beer up on a table and letting them set another week, he had perfectly carbed brew.

So sometimes even if the room is at the right temp, where at in that room might not be.

Back