Popped my first brew today.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland

Reaction score
Well it finally happened, I sampled my first bottle of my first-ever batch of home brew today, my Barn-Dog Red Ale. Not bad at all, especially for my first. I made it from the Brewers Best Red Ale kit with White Labs Irish Ale Yeast. 5-day primary, 2-week secondary and 9 days in the bottle. Carbonated just fine, slightly hoppy, nice beer. I sampled it before I bottled it and it was amazing how much carbonation changed the flavor of the beer. It came out a little hoppier than I expected, but that's just fine. Clarity could use some improvement, maybe it will clear up a bit more in a couple of weeks. I'm going to put it aside and go fishing for a week.

IMG_0680.jpg

Congrats!!!!!

I really like the Brewers Best Red Ale...one of my favorite ones....and my buddies'

Do yourself a favor and put a bunch in the fridge for a week....and the chill haze will settle out and when you pour one a week later.....as long as you are careful in your pour...it will be a nice clear red color.

Not that there is anything wrong with the haze....

My first brew was a Brewers Best red ale as well. I made quite a few noob mistakes but the beer came out pretty good. As others have said, time will clear it up nicely. The hoppiness will fade with time too.

Many of the places we go fishing (peers on Lake Erie mostly) don't allow alcohol. But,I've found that red ale is great with bbq'd ribs. Give it a little more time,& it'll settle out more.:mug:

unionrdr said:
Many of the places we go fishing (peers on Lake Erie mostly) don't allow alcohol. But,I've found that red ale is great with bbq'd ribs. Give it a little more time,& it'll settle out more.:mug:

Wow... there's a lot you can't do here in california, but im pretty sure you can drink everywhere but in a school and maybe inside the grocery store. Nice job on there brew! +1 to leaving some in the fridge will clear it

Well,like we've said here for years,if you don't like the weather,wait 5 minutes! Not to mention,all the smoking & drinking bans/laws...:drunk::mad:

For the record I'll be fly fishing in Colorado within 1 hour of the New Belgium Brewery, shouldn't be any shortage of quality draft products around. I just hope my house sitter doesn't drink all my beer.

Yeah, that looks good.. and like someone else said.. screw clarity. If it tastes kick-ass, then who cares? :)

Enjoy the batch, and enjoy brewing more of them!

Back