Popped my cherry...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skadalajara

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Arizona, the northernmost state in Mexico.
Got my first batch in the fermenter last night. Yeah, I'm pretty much hooked now.
It's a kit my LHBS puts together for noobs. Called "First Born Pale Ale."
6# light malt
.5# carapils and .5# crystal steeping grains.
Warrior hops. .5z bittering and .5z flavor/aroma.
Safale 04 yeast.
They even include irish moss.
OG: 1.053 (I think. Hard to read w/out a sampling tube.)
I'll check it in a week.
I'm giddy like a schoolgirl.

The only room in my house that's a decent temperature for fermenting is my bedroom. I woke up to the gentle gurgling of my primary this morning. And that smell. It almost smells like beer.
I have a 2nd primary fermenter now, so I'm already planning a second brew for the coming weekend.
Soon I won't be so upset that PHX is out of Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale.
Obsession? What? You're joking.

You must be in my area.. i just did the First born pale ale kit:) and i am in phoenix! It is a tasty beer.. i still have about a case left.. it has nice floral and butterscotch notes! Welcome to the world of brewing it is addicting! I am on my 2nd batch right now...

Hi Skadalajara & garyhood,
We're all from the same area!
Jeffery is a great guy. I talked his ear off for an hour about hefe's on friday.
We should get together for a tasting. My hefe just went into the primary a couple hours ago. so it will be a few weeks to tap.
-David

yea i am all about that! I still have surprisingly a case left of my brew from 3 weeks ago and it keeps getting better and better.. I am past my week of the "Dark love" Stout i bought from those guys.. Jeff told me it is his fav one. I am going to leave it in the primary for 2 more weeks or so and then bottle for 2 weeks.. i would be more than down to share the love on this one when it is ready!
let me know if you guys are interested!
cheers
Gary:mug::mug:

But, I figgered getting a 2nd batch going would make the wait easier.
Racked my pale ale to secondary. Current SG is 1.021. Tastes like beer! I'm stoked.
So I went and got an IPA kit from my LHBS. OG is 1.074. Uses Cascade, Chinook and Centennial hops. Decided to try a late addition method. It uses 6.6# pale LME and 1# extra light DME. Added the DME at flameout.
I also bought 3/8" soft copper tubing and fittings to make a wort chiller. I need to buy a bigger pot so I can do full boils and switch to DeathBrewer's stove top AG method. I also bought a 60k BTU propane burner which I broke in tonight. Made temperature control a breeze.
Yeah, I'm hooked.
Fellow Phoenicians- yeah, let's do a tasting one of these days. I'll post up when I have something ready to drink.

Latest posts

Back