Popcorn malting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpablo

Reaction score
I've tried a few times to malt popcorn and they've all gone terribly wrong, always ending with some dank-smelling mold growing on them. The last time I tried it, I hadn't even gotten through the soaking phase and the stuff already had a cheese like smell to it. I had pasteurized the water I used to soak it, which indicates to me that there's something alive in or on the popcorn. I've tried roasting it at around 150F, but not sure if this is the right temperature. If it's not hot enough, I won't kill off whatever's in there. Too hot and I'll denature the enzymes. I suppose 150 shouldn't be too hot as that's in the strike zone for mashing, but not sure if we're talking about the same enzymes. Is there such a thing as "pasteurizing" popcorn?

Any thoughts? It would be fun to work this out, given that every time I've tried I ended up with dank-smelling shoots that have hair-like follicles growing off them and a pinkish tinge that spreads onto the grain.

i wouldn't soak more then an hour or two, and just keep them wet with a lot of fresh air after that...

and i don't think corn malt works, because the starch doesn't gel at a low enough temp? not sure never tried myself because of that, concern....

you i read the first link, and that kinda talk is why it took me so long to start malting my own barley. here's some pics of my setup, just in case it gives you an idea or two, and i think to mash with corn malt it's like an adjunct thing where you have to gell to bulk, then add the malt? not sure, like i said never done it. but i have been malting my own barley for about 3 years now..here's some pics...of a simpelton doing it!

here's me soaking for about 2 hours, i get rot if i soak anymore than that, in my spare vanity tub.

100_0348.JPG

i just give it a minute soak once a day after that to keep it wet. i don't worry about temp, moisture content, or any of that!

then when the acrospires are popping i set it out to dry with a box fan and cheap sweater drying racks.

100_0470.JPG

then when it's crisp to the squezee, i throw in the modded oven to kiln at 150f...

100_0474.JPG

100_0475.JPG

100_0499.JPG

that's just a 200ohm resitor and a toggle switch to get the temp lower....

and some stapled aluminum screen baskets...

then after a 12 hour cycle it's bone dry and i deculm it, like this tote to tote 12 or so times in front of fans...

100_0466.JPG

but this is barley and the starch gel's at amylase working temps so i just wanted to lighten the yolk on your neck, and tell you it ain't that hard to malt, but i think corn needs to be boiled first to gel the starch...which would denature the enzymes...but i've never malted corn so don't know...Millet might be a better option for gluten free?

i've malted oats the same way are they gluten free? it made beer.

Last edited:
Wow, that's quite an operation! I admit I'm totally ignorant of malting so I don't know how folks get it done in the case of corn. I could consider not soaking it for that long and then just trying to keep it wet until it starts to germinate. If it starts to sprout, isn't that a sign that the conversion is starting to happen?

Wow, that's quite an operation! I admit I'm totally ignorant of malting so I don't know how folks get it done in the case of corn. I could consider not soaking it for that long and then just trying to keep it wet until it starts to germinate. If it starts to sprout, isn't that a sign that the conversion is starting to happen?

it means it's producing the enzymes it needs, but the starch still needs to be gel'd....or made water soluble...

i think!? wheat, barley, oats..all have starch that gel's at about 140-150f.... malting creates enzymes, mashing the grain is what makes the sugar for fermentation.

And as far as sprouting and 'malting' i'd definitely say just soak it till it's 'wet' then give it a quick 2-3 minute soak once a day and thorough drain...i don't know about popcorn but barley is usually done in about 3 days...

And also, try and do a normal mash! i'd be curious if it works! i'd personally use dent feed corn for malting, 8 bucks for a 40lb bag at walmart wouldn't be too bad for beer! but i think you'll have to do a cereal mash on most of the corn first then add the corn malt to it to convert it?

I saw your post and just wanted to say, i have better luck with a couple hour soak and just keeping it wet...otherwise i get rot! and yes, i know, distiller's use corn malt for whiskey! but i think they do the cereal mash thing with it?

http://www.homedistiller.org is where i've even ever heard people talk about corn mashes...

yes, i know, distiller's use corn malt for whiskey! but i think they do the cereal mash thing with it?

I think distillers boil the corn then add barley malt (10 to 15%) once it cools enough to not denature enzymes. I could be wrong though - I've tried reading info on distillers forums and found it a bit difficult to decipher at times.

BTW, that was a great write-up of your malting process. Very interesting.

I think distillers boil the corn then add barley malt (10 to 15%) once it cools enough to not denature enzymes. I could be wrong though - I've tried reading info on distillers forums and found it a bit difficult to decipher at times.

BTW, that was a great write-up of your malting process. Very interesting.

i've read about them malting corn...i've always assumed they would boil unmalted corn, then add the corn malt? like you said with the barley malt.

Anyway, i've never tried corn malt....Got me interested in it now though! might give it a shot here soon.

And to the OP, if your just looking for a gluten free beer, i know you can make a 100% oat malt beer, same way as normal beer. Because i have done that! just need to set the gap fine on the mill for them.

i wouldn't soak more then an hour or two, and just keep them wet with a lot of fresh air after that...

and i don't think corn malt works, because the starch doesn't gel at a low enough temp? not sure never tried myself because of that, concern....
Theres a guy on utube that does a popcorn malt bearded and bored i thonk is the guy

Back