Poor man's Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
So I'm starting to get into brewing some SMaSH brews to experiment with different flavors. I've always wanted to make a pilsner, just to prove to my BMC buddies that even the kind of beer they love slamming down can really be so much better. However, I'm not able to lager and as long as I remain a poor college student (which might be for some time ) I probably won't have the ability to lager. my question is, will the typical flavor profile of an ale yeast (even a pretty neutral one) mix well with what would otherwise be a very clean and simple beer?

here's the recipe:

10lbs pilsner malt
1 oz saaz at 60
1 oz saaz at 10
1 oz saaz at 5
1 oz saaz at 2
WL001

it will be fine. it will still make a good beer. you will probably get more esters and less crispness than you would with a lager.

I did a very similar one using 95 pils and 5 carapils and hallatauer. Used nottingham in low 60s but you have to raise it for a diacetyl rest or you will be drinking buttered popcorn using an ale yeast that low.
Came out very clean and very drinkable

Could you use a California Common yeast strain? Like the Anchor steam yeast strain. Im being lazy or I would look it up for you.

I've had great success with US-5 in a keg bucket I got at Lowes($6+-) like:

2229804.jpg

And then using frozen jugs with a fan. It will keep my beer around 60 in my 80degree house. Another good yeast choice is Pacman or notty.

I've had great success with US-5 in a keg bucket I got at Lowes($6+-) like:

2229804.jpg

And then using frozen jugs with a fan. It will keep my beer around 60 in my 80degree house. Another good yeast choice is Pacman or notty.

This is the key. If you use a clean yeast like US-05 but ferment it at 72, you won't get a clean beer. You need to be able to keep your fermentation temps at 65 or less to do what you are hoping to do.

Here's a recipe that I used to make a very light beer http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Drinkability-isn-t-a-word.html

I used rice in the mash (and some people also add flaked corn) to lighten it, plus a little sugar. The OG was 1.032 and the bitterness was around 15 IBU. Your recipe is going to give you a much higher og and bitterness, which may be what you are looking for.

Back