"Poor attenuation through loss of yeast in blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EkieEgan

Reaction score
I do know this was asked before. I did read what was posted from 2009, but I am wondering if anything new has come to light?

I have 2 beers that as far as I am concerned, did not attenuate out. Both beers had extremely violent fermentations. One, a saison that I put on top of a yeast cake (propagated Ommegang Hennepin), blew my airlock off and spewed yeast up onto my pantry ceiling! I had to add a 1.25" hose directly into the fermentor. As of now, the reading is 1.008 The previous beer dropped to 1.002 and the mash and ingredients are similar. The second, a small RIS started at 1.085 and fermented like mad using WL007. I lost probably close to a gallon through the same BIG HOSE lol..it is only at 1.029, which measures 65% app. att. I expected at least 75% out of this yeast and grain bill. I just added yeast from another WL007 starter in the hopes that it may take back off? It's not the end of the world in either case, but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences with such a loss of krausen?

Well I kinda answered my own question. Pitching fresh yeast into the RIS started refermentation so that's good. It should help it to drop a few more points. The saison? Maybe I could have tried something similar? It got bottled at 1.008 It's not the end of the world. Hopefully it is still perceived as somewhat dry.

I'm glad fermentation restarted. I've had what could have been similar experiences, but don't really know if kraeusen blow-off was the cause. For a while in the 1990's there was a recommendation by some to use a carboy with very little head space to encourage blow-off - to get a cleaner flavor, I think. That seems to have died out - due partly to a concern about loosing yeast cells. So IMO, your concern seems to be valid.

I'd never heard that about leaving little head space. A different approach I guess. I honestly sparged too much or should have boiled more off. My OG would have been higher and I would have had more room in the carboy. I made a 2L starter. Maybe that isn't enough? Maybe the yeast got fatigued? I guess covering all of the "what it's" would be prudent. Thanks for the reply!

I can vouch that batches with blow-off do not lessen attenuation. It is a sign of a very healthy fermentation. I'd say 60-75% of my batches blow-off. Every batch I brew gets a tube into a tub of water until high krausen passes and I know with certainty it can be replaced with an airlock. Attenuation is mainly going to be driven by yeast strain selection and fermentability of the wort.

I probably didn't have enough healthy yeast. Maybe a 2L starter isn't enough for a 1.085 beer? As far as can tell, the saison just finished at 1.008 It went on top of the yeast cake and went like wildfire. No worries..it's all a learning experience. Thanks for the info.

Back