poor aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibrewdou

Reaction score
o.k., my kettle wasn't big enough to boil the whole volume on my first a.g. So i slit the boil,:eek:. I siphoned the first 1/2 into the fermenter and before i could stop myself, i pitched my yest starter.OH-NO!, I've ruined my beer! So I aerated the second half in the pot and then siphoned it in and swirled the carboy to mix. Had a vigorous, though short lived fermentation and the krausen dropped in less than 24 hours after pitching. bubbling slowed substantially, and i've re- suspended the yeast twice to keep things moving along. I used Wyeast irish ale. The temp was in limits. the yeast is a med flocculator. thoughts?

check the gravity. It could be done fermenting. I have had yeast ferment in less than 48 hours.

You think you ruined it because you pitched the first half before aerating it? You can still aerate your wort after the yeast is pitched, just don't do it after fermentation has begun.

Nevermind the bubbling (or lack thereof), you won't really know anything until you take a gravity reading. I'd give it a good 7-10 days to do it's thing and then do a hydrometer check. Good chance it's fine, especially since you used a starter.

Back