Pomegranate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G. Cretin

Reaction score
Any one have a recipe for pomegranate wine?
I'm considering pomegranates for a first wine attempt.

I've never even tasted a pomegranate, but I saw this recipe on Jack Keller's site:

The hard part is peeling them and liberating the hundreds of seeds without damaging too many, and for this you'd be smart to wear latex gloves (the stain is insidious). Once you've done that, the rest is just routine.

POMEGRANATE WINE
10-15 ripe pomegranates
1/2 lb. barley
3 lb. granulated sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1 gallon water
wine yeast and nutrient
Peel the fruit and remove the seed-juice sacs from the bitter white membrane dividers. Ten fruit are sufficient if 5-6 inches in diameter, 15 are required for 3-4 inch diameters. Meanwhile, bring the water to boil with the barley in it. Simmer for about 5 minutes, then strain onto the pomegranate seeds, sugar, and lemon juice in the primary fermentation vessel. Stir well. When cool (70-75 degrees F.), add the activated yeast and nutrient. Cover and allow to ferment vigorously five days, then strain into secondary fermentation jar and fit with fermentation trap. When wine clears, rack and bottle. May taste in six months, but improves at one year. [Adapted from C.J.J. Berry's First Steps in Winemaking]

Lorena

yeah I ran across that one last night and was hoping you had another for me to compare it against.

well I'm new at brewing anything but i have pomegranite trees in the back yard ,so I went for it. My advice would be subsitute barley with something else.Maybe strawberrys.Mine came out bad.

Back