Pomegranate Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCoy

Reaction score
I've never brewed a saison and the only example I've tried is Ommegang Hennepin and a few homebrews, but with the temperatures climbing I thought it might be worth giving it a shot. I'm also interested in brewing with pomegranate, and there's no better time for an experiment than the present (that is to say, I'm moving in under a month and so will actually not begin this experiment until after that, but dreaming up recipes is a nice way to distract myself from anxiety about moving).

Here's what I've got thus far:

6 lbs Bohemian pils
1.5 lbs Munich 20L
1.5 lbs pale wheat
0.5 lbs carapils
1 oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1 oz Strisslespalt @ 15 min
1 oz Strisslespalt @ flameout
1 lb of pomegranate molasses (in the primary)
Wyeast 3711 French Saison

Everything seems pretty standard to me based on my research into various brewer's recipes with the exception of the carapils. I know that saisons are supposed to dry way out, but I've read that the pomegranate can require a some body to offset the tartness. My impression is that the yeast will probably eat up anything the carapils offers anyway, which may be an argument for or against it, I'm not sure. I think the OG for this would be 1.054, IBU 23, SRM ~6.5. Does this seem like a reasonable recipe or should something be changed?

Carapils is just "dextrine" and isn't going to add much of any kind of flavor that will be noticable at that % of grain bill. The nice thing it'll add (and what you may be seeing in other recipes) is that it is known to aid in head retention. It's not uncommon for recipes to have some % dedicated to Carapils/dextrine for head retention purposes alone.

... I would leave it in.

Back