Pomegranate hydromel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stunsm

Reaction score
I'm finishing up my first batch of NB's hydromel and need to get another going. I want to keep it light and fast and a little carbonated, and thought that some Pom juice would be great. Anyone have any suggestions as to how much for a 5 gallon batch? Put in at primary when I stir in the honey, after a few days, or in the secondary?

I did a pom saison about a year ago that turned out great. I added two costco large bottles (64 oz.) in secondary. I think next time I'll let it secondary for a longer time before kegging. Last year stayed in secondary for about two weeks but it got much better in the keg after a month.

My pom melomel used 1 gal of Pom brand juice...I think I added half a few days into primary and the rest when transferring to secondary. If I were to repeat I think I'd add all of it after the primary was nearly complete. I recall getting much more color from the later addition.

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

EDIT: I wanted to add that this was for a 6 gallon total volume batch, and it used 12 lbs honey, so was a relatively low gravity mead, with a final ABV of about 11.4% I did add some acid blend and tannin at bottling, and it was very drinkable even 6 months after brewing...it's continued to get better with time...

For a little more info, this will be 5 gallons, 6 lbs. of honey and an OG of around 1.040. I'm thinking maybe a half gallon, as this is currently very light and drinkable, I want some extra sweetness and flavor, but not to overwhelm.

Back