pomegranate beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bone2 said:
Can one use a little POM juice?
Just about anything with sugar will ferment. Just about anything edible can be used to flavor beer. Pomegranate sounds like a interesting flavoring for a beer. If you want your fruit flavoring to come through, you need to start with a mild flavored beer. Also the juice should probably be added to the beer during or after fermentation. Do not boil the juice.

Craig

That would be an interesting combination. That stuff is really good for you and we usually keep some juice of it around the house. I would be interested to see how it turns out.

I will be attempting to do a Belgian style with pom and clove tomorrow. Im not sure it i am going to use real pom or just juice. it i do use the real thing i think that i will just crush the juice out of a few 6 or so and NOt add the seeds. Ill post to let you know how it turns out

I'm a Saranac fan and I really like this beer (in small doses).

Hey I tried to PM you but your mailbox was full.

Saw you were a Saranac fan...Cool to hear, I lived in Utica for a year and came to love that stuff.

Have you found a clone or anything similiar to their Black Forest? I tried emailing them to get more specs, but they wouldn't provide anymore than they had on their website.

I will be attempting to do a Belgian style with pom and clove tomorrow. Im not sure it i am going to use real pom or just juice. it i do use the real thing i think that i will just crush the juice out of a few 6 or so and NOt add the seeds. Ill post to let you know how it turns out

Did you brew this beer? I was thinking of adding around32 ounces of pom juice to the pot when its get down to around 180 degrees and cover and set 20 minutes and then chill/ferment as usual. This should avoid the pectin issue and still come up with a tart wheat beer that is not too sweet. Can you post your recipe? I am not sure if I will go belgian or american fruit beer yet or maybe even use a hefe yeast

Did you brew this beer? I was thinking of adding around32 ounces of pom juice to the pot when its get down to around 180 degrees and cover and set 20 minutes and then chill/ferment as usual. This should avoid the pectin issue and still come up with a tart wheat beer that is not too sweet. Can you post your recipe? I am not sure if I will go belgian or american fruit beer yet or maybe even use a hefe yeast

I did do the beer and won a small brew contest in Jan.

20lb Schrier Pale Ale
1lb Briess carapils
1.5lb Canada white wheat
Mash temp 146 Mash PH 5.4 Adjusted with food grade Phos acid

Kettle full 7gal 12.6 Plato PH 5.72(this is what i got)

1.5 Hour boil could be brought to 1 Hour
Nugget 14.3% A/A 8.5g 60 mins in boil
Glacier 6.5% A/A 5.6g 30 min in boil
US Golding 4.9% .25g 15 min in boil
Irish moss/Clove/CaCL2 as directed/4g/7g

Knock out 5gal 17.1 Plato PH 5.45(this is what i got)
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
WLP 530 Belgian Abby
I didn't right down the final gravity so.... probably around 3 Plato or so??

Added 4 Poms to secondary crushed and strained out the seeds to avoid lack of head retention. it wasn't enough so i added one POM juice container. perfect. Aroma had tons of banana, very good beer.

I liked the Saranac Pomegrenate Wheat also, thought I actually thought it was a little too light on the pomegranate.

Thanks and congrats on the contest. I am working my recipe now and needed some other input. People put there adjuncts in at all different stages of brewing and I've never made a fruit beer before.

Ibet it would be an interesting beer.

A couple in my brew club made a pom wheat, and won our year end worst beer contest.obviously theirs didn't do so well.But they were excited to win the contest.

Here is what I am thinking so far on this. I am looking for something light flavored so the POm will come thru and my wife will drink it. Any input is appreciated. 5 gallon batch

Pomegranate wheat beer
4lbs 6 row(figured I should throw in the 6row b/c of all the adjuncts)
3lbs wheat malt
1 1/2 lb honey(orange blossom)
6oz 10L crystal malt or honey malt?
32oz pomegranate juice ( added like I said earlier in the post)
1 oz hallertau (60 minutes)
½ oz centennial (flameout)
American hefe yeast/california ale yeast/ or S-05

Here's a little more info for you beer nerds.

Add grains and
single infusion mash at 153 degrees (60 minutes)
mash-out 168 degrees (10 minutes)
add honey last 15 minutes. of boil

I haven't gotten into the water chem or Ph yet, but from what I understand we have relatively soft water here. All my beers seem to turnout fine without knowing right yet, but I do like the thought of controling all aspects of the brew so I am sure I will start with that soon.

I did do the beer and won a small brew contest in Jan.

20lb Schrier Pale Ale
1lb Briess carapils
1.5lb Canada white wheat
Mash temp 146 Mash PH 5.4 Adjusted with food grade Phos acid

Kettle full 7gal 12.6 Plato PH 5.72(this is what i got)

1.5 Hour boil could be brought to 1 Hour
Nugget 14.3% A/A 8.5g 60 mins in boil
Glacier 6.5% A/A 5.6g 30 min in boil
US Golding 4.9% .25g 15 min in boil
Irish moss/Clove/CaCL2 as directed/4g/7g

Knock out 5gal 17.1 Plato PH 5.45(this is what i got)
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
WLP 530 Belgian Abby
I didn't right down the final gravity so.... probably around 3 Plato or so??

Added 4 Poms to secondary crushed and strained out the seeds to avoid lack of head retention. it wasn't enough so i added one POM juice container. perfect. Aroma had tons of banana, very good beer.

I am a complete noob but I'm interested in doing this recipe. Can you clarify a couple things for me. I'm sure my noobness will show.

Is this an all grain recipe?

Your first ingredient is 20lbs of schrier pale ale. Is this an extract or grain? 20lbs of anything seems like a lot. Is this for a 5 gallon batch? Did you mean 2 lbs? If this is a grain could you recommend an extract alternative?

What many ounces did you use of each hops?

Also the statement about "kettle full 7gal" Does this mean you had 7 gallons of "stuff" in a kettle?

Also, I think I'd skip using the actual fruit and just use the POM juice. They sell different sizes. Can you recommend how many ounces to use? Thanks and I appologize for the noob questions in advance. Thanks.

I created a red wheat beer using belgian abbey yeast and 2lbs of frozen pomegranate kernals in secondary. It was quite strong (alcohol-wise) and a bit too sweet for my taste, although the flavor was outstanding. All the girls I know absolutely loved it.

I was considering making a simple American Wheat beer in the next two weeks and adding 16 oz of POM/Mango juice to my primary when fermentation is done. Has anyone tried using the POM juices with any success?

We Have a Pomegranate tree in our front yard. Besides feeding the birds we have made jelly, wine and now 2 1/2 gallons of pomegranate/honey beer. I had a can of Pilothouse pilsner from Mr. Beer mix LME, 1 1/2 lbs. of honey and a quart of freshly juiced pomegranates. Picked them yesterday and juiced them this morning. I like beer, but I love experimenting. The pilsner was hopped and I added about an oz. of Cascade hops. I used the yeast that came with the mix and I added a sprinkling of Red Star wine yeast as well. I did not take an O.G. so I don't know what the F.G. will be but I'll wait a little longer than regular beer for it to ferment before I bottle it. I am thinking it will be like a fortified beer on the low end.

I say go for it! Homebrewers can use whatever ingredients they want to try. I have read of people using 24 12 oz cans of Mountain Dew in a brew, another using a bunch of green apple flavored Jolly Ranchers in a batch. Experiment, that is the joy of homebrewing. Develop your own brews. If you are nervous about using a certain ingredient just scale the recipe down and make a one gallon pilot batch to try. If it is not good, no big loss. However, you may just develop an awesome unique recipe you will want to brew over and over.

I did this a while ago with a cream ale, as my first dim adventure into flavored beers, and hot dang if it didn't blow my socks off. I used only one ounce of bittering hops with no aroma or flavoring hops, as the juice had plenty of acid. For the 5 gallon batch I used about 3/4 of a gallon of pomegranate juice that I stumbled on at the Farmer's market, but if Pom has no preservatives I'm sure that would be great as well. I added the juice to the secondary. It came out nice and clear with a really pretty, deep rose color. The flavor of the pomegranate was present and forward, but not overdone. It was nicely tart too; until I tried this one I tended to avoid fruit beers because I find them to be too sweet.

Really tasty, easy drinking, and the ladies loved it!

My beer came out very good. I did have a problem with a bottle I opened a week ago. It was over carbonated. It was 3/4 full. It was the tail end of the fermentor. I usually drink those partial bottles first, but it got misplaced. It is still delicious with a little foamy mouth feel. Other bottles that we have tried and I gave away got good reviews.
Of course the recipients of the free beer want more. I also gave them Pumpkin beer. They didn't care for it as much.

hoppymonkey said:
Pomegranate wheat beer
4lbs 6 row(figured I should throw in the 6row b/c of all the adjuncts)
3lbs wheat malt
1 1/2 lb honey(orange blossom)
6oz 10L crystal malt or honey malt?
32oz pomegranate juice ( added like I said earlier in the post)
American hefe yeast/california ale yeast/ or S-05

You can use 6 row if you want, but there isn't anything there that needs conversion power.

Back