Polycarbonate okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
I have found some polycarbonate 3G bottles for sale, they are from water coolers. It seems that they are safe for water, but would they be okay for brewing? *hic*

Stick with PETE and HDPE.

With others there is a possibility of leeching chemicals or oxidation.

You might try it and be ok, or you could grow flippers.

Up to you...not sure if most of the baby bottles on the market are still polycarbonate. There has been recent pressure to remove them. For a decade or two they were tested and considered safe for use by every developed country for use by infants. I think one could easily make the argument that the beer poses a greater health risk than the 'potential' risk from bisphenol A. Up to you...flippers?...let's be realistic!

Safe for water?? they are actually phasing them out for water use.

Here ya go...see lin below...jury is still out...If you want to worry yourself sick, better get some shower shoes too so you don't slip and fall...now there's a real risk that we're not doing anything about.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1711398,00.html

edit...oh almost forgot...if you really want to avoid bispheno A, throw out all the canneds good in your pantry, the plastic lining inside the can contains it also.

You don't normally get jokes do you? Besides, flippers would be AWESOME! :mug:

No sorry, didn't get the joke. "leeching chemicals" kind of put the humour bone to rest.

I just have a hard time w/ people saying that polycarbonate is dangerous and should be avoided.

For all we know the guys new born infant is drinking formula out of a polycarbonate baby bottle, his toddler is teething on a polycarbonate sippy cup, yet there is a danger of "leeching chemicals" if he puts his beer in polycarbonate, now that's a joke!

Just to summarize - baby bottles cause flipper growth.

I'd say try it. There's nothing in that bottle that you aren't exposed to from 20 other sources anyways.

No sorry, didn't get the joke. "leeching chemicals" kind of put the humour bone to rest.

I just have a hard time w/ people saying that polycarbonate is dangerous and should be avoided.

For all we know the guys new born infant is drinking formula out of a polycarbonate baby bottle, his toddler is teething on a polycarbonate sippy cup, yet there is a danger of "leeching chemicals" if he puts his beer in polycarbonate, now that's a joke!

All I was trying to say is that there is a reason that fermenters are not made of polycarbonate. Alcohol, PH, something made people decide it was not a good idea. Buckets are cheap. Carboys can be had cheap on craigslist or other. If you want to try it, by all means, go for it. Me, Ill stick with glass, PETE, or HDPE and spend the $10.

Hey, it's all good s3n8,

All I was trying to say is that when they take the polycarbonate baby bottles off the shelf at Target, I'll happily join your side. Until then, "the people" have decided polycarbonate is safe for beverage use.

This whole polycarb thing came up after my children finished with bottles & sippy cups! Until recently, we have heard very little here about problems with it. In saying that, I'm don't think I'll take the risk - for myself, DH or the children!

What do you plan to do with the bottles? If you use them for primary fermenters, you're okay. If you use them for long term aging or secondary fermentation, I'd say don't. This is not due to the bisphenol A which may or may not leach out, but due to the poor oxygen permeation barrier properties of polycarbonate. During a short primary fermentation there's not enough time for much O2 to diffuse through the fermenter wall, but during a longer aging or secondary fermentation, there's time for O2 to get through the wall of the bottle and oxidize the beer.

As far as the hysteria over Bisphenol A, my opinion is: 1) as usual this is overblown by anti-chemical groups and people who make a living scaring us; 2) the worry is possible endocrine disruption by Bis A, and this is mainly a concern for a developing fetus or a growing baby, not for us adults, we already are what we will become when we grow up; 3) we live in a stew of trace chemicals already, worrying about possible increased exposure to one of them from a 3 or 5 gallon water bottle is irrelevant.

Back