Poll: How Long do you wait after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How long do you wait after bottling until you check to see if its ready

• Couple of days (I can't wait!)

• 1 week (I pop one open just to see)

• 2 weeks (I figure it has to be good by now. Right?)

• 3 weeks (I follow the 3 week rule to the letter)

• 1 month or longer (I'm VERY patient)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just checked my winter warmer after a week and it was lush!!! Gonna spend the next 3 weeks trying to leave it alone to mature!! :D

Depends on the beer. I have some that I check after a week, even though I know I'm going to give them two or three. The big ones I leave 6 months or so.

when I bottle I usualy set aside 3 or 4 bottles just for sampling. I invariably open 1 up after about 4 days and then another everyother day afterwards to see where they're at. I wait at least 4 weeks then put them all (or most) in the fridge.

Torben Ulrich said:
when I bottle I usualy set aside 3 or 4 bottles just for sampling.

Yeah, me too. 1 week I give it a try and see if all is well. 2 weeks, I commence to sip on it by myself. 3 weeks, start handing it out to friends for evaluation.....

I voted for 1 month or longer, not because I'm patient, but because the only beers I bottle for my own consumption, take several months to mature. I usu sally sample kegged beers after about two weeks.

-a.

lorenae said:
I intend to wait three weeks, but before one week is up, I've just GOT to check. It's usually pretty good after a week, too!

Lorena

Yeah that is pretty much my method too and I'll bet it is among a lot of impatient homebrewers. Gotta check out that baby. Make sure everything is on track. I sometimes think this hobby is a Zen test of our patience. Working with life forms is tricky and anything can happen. Rose Mary's Baby in a Bottle or Heavenly Brew?

Cheers! And may all your homebrews be just as you imagined! Merry Christmas all.

I'll check 1 after 7-10 days but then I wait at least 2 weeks to try again.

I only have a few completed brews under my belt and i have drank all the beers before 2 weeks.

Newest batch started on the 21st i will most definitely wait a full 3 weeks this time.

I usually wait a couple of weeks, but what I really do is monitor the temp. If the basement is a bit cooler it'll take about 6 weeks, warmer is 2-3 weeks.

Then again other variables are the style and gravity of the brew.:D

I'm only on my first batch in the bottle (#2 is still in the fermenter) and I tried one at one week, to see how it will progress. The next one will be in another 2 weeks. The next time I make a similar batch (pale ale), I will probably wait the full three weeks. I'm pretty patient :)

I only bottle High gravity beers, so the six month before first sample rule applies. Keg beer still gets more than a month in the keg before tapping. But that’s because I only have four taps and 18 kegs. :mug:

Jsin said:
But that’s because I only have four taps and 18 kegs. :mug:

Keg prices maybe different here in England, but though all the research I have with the price of Corny Kegs, 18 kegs would come to around £540, which I *guess* would come to around $1000? How easily can one acquire a corny or any keg in America (cheaply I assume?)? I've had no such luck in the UK, although I do enjoy bottling my beer, photoshopping labels is something in which I am quite the self-confessed geek :)

Markusface said:
Keg prices maybe different here in England, but though all the research I have with the price of Corny Kegs, 18 kegs would come to around £540, which I *guess* would come to around $1000? How easily can one acquire a corny or any keg in America (cheaply I assume?)? I've had no such luck in the UK, although I do enjoy bottling my beer, photoshopping labels is something in which I am quite the self-confessed geek :)

My first 4 Kegs were a gift from my mother and the next 4 I bought on sale used $89 including shipping. The final 10 the Coke driver gave me as a thank you for supplying beer for his brothers wedding. Sorry to hear they cost so much on your side of the pond. :mug:

Back