POLL!!! Help finish this poster/t-shirt design!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should this design look?

• Use this spelling: Broaden your palate

• Use this spelling: Broaden your palette

• Put the magnified portion on the far right corner (comedic value)

• Put the magnified portion on the bottom (realistic value)

• Put "Fizzy yellow beer is for wussies" on the front of the shirt (Stone Brewery's line...immoral?)

• Put the HBT logo on the front of the shirt

• Put "Broaden your palate/palette" on the front of the shirt

• I hate this design more than the Ralph Nader option on HBT polls!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Here are two images, displaying most of the options at hand:

Image #1:
poster3_smooth_grad.jpg

Image #2:
poster4.jpg

Poll is open for one day only!

Here's a link to the original discussion thread.

We could always ask Stone for their permission and even cite them as the source of the quote. That would make it free advertising for them.

As for the Palate vs Palette, unfortunately, I am an English major and tend to use the language correctly, so I would much prefer palate, meaning the roof of your mouth, rather than "palette" which is an artist's tool. Sure, as homebrewers, we have a vast palette of malts to choose from, and we can order those malts by the pallet, but when it comes to taste, I go with what my palate tells me...

Ditto on Palate. Ditto on HBT logo on the front. Personally I liked the realistic version with the magnifying glass further from the corner, but I do appreciate the comedic value of having it right in the corner - I think it will convey our message the best.

I'm definitely buying one!:mug:

Having trouble getting the "flavor" scale to look presentable. I'm skipping it for now.

I just sent an e-mail to Stone Brewing asking them about using their line. Here's to hoping they respond! :mug:

z987k said:
I would argue that color has nothing to do with flavor though.
I would argue that the image is about visual impact. Sure, flavor and color are independent, but I'm not going to put the hop/malt balance graph on this, either. Trying to use orfy's KISS concept and let the flavor aspect be inferred by the viewer.

Out the BHT logo on it, use the realistic one for sure, not use the Yellow Beer is for Wussies, and use broaden your palate/palette. Id buy one.

Sir Humpsalot said:
That is why "Flavor" would be on the Y axis, and color is on the X axis. That way they are two separate variables.
And as soon as I can find a clean way to present that, I'll add it. For now, I'm not digging it from a purely visual perspective.

Yuri_Rage said:
And as soon as I can find a clean way to present that, I'll add it. For now, I'm not digging it from a purely visual perspective.

I respect your assessment and don't immediately disagree with it. I was merely trying to explain it to z987k

Yuri... I see what you mean about the symmetry.

Try also adding a DOWN arrow "Less Flavor" on the right side.

Subconsciously, it will be sort of pointing toward the BMC... :p

Edit to add.... man this is looking awesome!!!!! And I'm talking about ALL the versions!!!! :mug:

IMHO, it's getting overcomplicated. We've got a pun that 90% of the populace is not likely to completely comprehend (though the overarching point is clear), and now we're asking them to read a graph. I'm really, strongly leaning toward the simpler concept.

Yuri_Rage said:
I'm really, strongly leaning toward the simpler concept.

+1 on going with the original image #1. If you can get Stones permission, I think it would go better on the back. Right underneath "Broaden your palate" and a simple HBT logo on the front. Either way sign me up for one.

What about ditching "A Lesson in Beer" and just leave "The Spectrum of Beer" that helps cut back on the clutter and the gets the point across, then take the Flavor and move that to the bottom with the arrow pointing to the left. That really makes it look like BMC is as far from flavor as you can get. You could also add "complexity" where Flavor is now for a the double whammy.

Here's the latest - cleaner title text with more accurate lines depicting the BMC colors:

poster_near_final.jpg

I'm just not sold on a multi-dimensional scale depicting flavor/complexity. If you're really concerned about the fact that this seems to suggest that color and flavor are linked, consider the "spectrum" a metaphor instead of taking the image so literally.

*Raises hand

I don't have a lot of experience with either one, but nearly everyone I know, brewers and non brewers alike, see, to think that miller at least has more flavor. I mean, it is at least all malt.

Off course, that would throw BMC out of order...

RadicalEd said:
*Raises hand

I don't have a lot of experience with either one, but nearly everyone I know, brewers and non brewers alike, see, to think that miller at least has more flavor. I mean, it is at least all malt.

Off course, that would throw BMC out of order...

I was thinking about that issue myself. Personally, I don't know which one is lighter/darker, more/less flavorful. Determining that would actually require me to buy those beers. YUCK!

However, I have no issue with "BMC" being out of order because, besides homebrewers, nobody else really knows that term anyway.

I was thinking maybe there should one more option under the magnifying glass... "Urine" ;)

But seriously, I think it looks a lot cleaner.

Alright, poll's closed! My final draft of the design for Sir Humpsalot's poster concept will look very much like the one in post #23 of this thread. I need to smooth some of the lines and eliminate a few artifacts. You can expect it to be available on CafePress within 24-48 hours.

The t-shirt will have the HBT logo on the front/breast and the "Beer Spectrum" image on the back. If Stone responds to my e-mail, I may add a version with the "Fizzy yellow beer" line as well.

T-shirts and posters now available!!!

[ame="http://www.cafepress.com/kampferstrahl.165659287"]White T-Shirt[/ame]

[ame="http://www.cafepress.com/kampferstrahl.165659294"]Light T-Shirt (gray, light blue, or natural)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.cafepress.com/kampferstrahl.254373568"]16x20 Poster[/ame]

A sample t-shirt:

spectrum_actual_tshirt.jpg

Yuri, can you put "Homebrewtalk.com" on the bottom of the poster? I want a poster to stick on my beer fridge, but it would be WAY cooler with HBT on there.

the_bird said:
Yuri, can you put "Homebrewtalk.com" on the bottom of the poster? I want a poster to stick on my beer fridge, but it would be WAY cooler with HBT on there.
I thought about that. There's definitely room, but I decided to keep it simple. I can be easily swayed on this one. Anyone else want HomeBrewTalk.com on the poster?

EDIT: Everyone on the chat tonight liked the idea of putting the website on the poster. I'll add it.

FURTHER EDIT: Done! HBT is on the poster.

Back