Polishing kegs....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellam87

Reaction score
I just finished polishing the kegs last night with the ultra fine compound and I'm still not satisfied with the finish. What have you guys used after fine compound to really bring out the shine on your kegs?

ForumRunner_20120615_090501.jpg

Heck I would love to have mine even looking that good! Brew and enjoy buddy! As far as polishing I have no tips as I just cut the top off mine last night (polishing begins tonight). Anyway, Im sure someone on here can lend you a few tips but as far as I see it it looks damn good! My jig I made worked very well!!

IMG_20120614_190709-small.jpg

Neil

I'm thinking about sandblasting a nice matte finish on mine. There is a DIY shop downstate that is pretty cheap if you want to spray sand yourself. I think the total effort would be much less and I'm hoping the appearance is nice too.

I recently did my mash tun. While mine isn't as shiny as BobbyM's, they definitely look better (which means it mashes better, right?!?). I think my biggest mistake was not using the Fine grit pad hard enough and not wiping down the keg before each step down. When I do my HLT and BK, I plan on paying better attention to detail each step.

Keep at it buddy. i just started mine today and my keg was beat to hell... i have about 50 bucks in sandpaper and gator grit wheels (6 hours of labor) in today final polish tomorrow !!

keg.6.16.12.jpg

neil

Looks good Neily!!! You obviously put more time into it than I did. What sand paper did you use outside of Bobby's guide? Was that for the hard to reach spots?

It just takes some time.. Istarted with 100 grit sandpaper.. then did 220.. then sprayed it with a hose as I wet sanded 320.. Then threw on a fine grit [part #236-8061] gator performax pad hitting it with some weiler vortec emery compound (used both disc in the pack till they wore out). then threw on a polishing pad [part#236-8064] gator pad hitting it with weiler vortec tripoli compound (again used both pads) I actually only got the top half hit with the finishing pads (need to make a run to hardware store tomorrow am to finish).. just throw some headphones on (and eye protection) flick your phone to your favorite pandora station and grind away!! have fu with it.. i really never thought i would see the mirror finish till i hit it with the finishing pad...

good luck show us your results!

neil

Back