• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Polish lager

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Todd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
587
Reaction score
1
Location
Mechanicsburg PA
Would anyone have a Polish Lager recipe? I have a polish freind and she like zywiec and Hevelius Kaper. I can't seem to find it here so we are thinking of trying to brew some. Any ideas?
 

rdwj

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2006
Messages
4,571
Reaction score
36
Location
Plainfield, IL
Polish lager? Just use a top fermenting yeast!

-sorry, couldn't resist
 

javedian

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
123
Reaction score
5
Location
Fresno, CA
Austin Homebrew has two different Polish hops, one is a Saaz sibling, the other is a mid-alpha 9%???. Probably could just use those in a basic pilsner formula, adjusting for differences in alpha acids. They use those in their Baltic Porter, which I am planning on brewing soon to apease my partial Lithuanian heritage.
 

paul_beer

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
56
Reaction score
1
Location
Alberta
There is a recipe for Zywiec Beer in clone brews, pg 125. I haven't tried it but here it is:

6 oz 2.5L German Light Crystal Malt
0.5lb German Munich Malt
6.6lb Ireks light malt syrup
Irish Moss

2oz Polishner Lublin (4.5%AA) (60min)
1/4oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (15min)
1/4oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (5min)

Yeast: Wyeast 2278 or 2007

Cheers!
 

Mikey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
666
Reaction score
5
Location
I'm gone!
I would suggest that trying to duplicate a specific brand of beer at home is difficult with any style beer, but particularly so with Pilsners.

When it comes down to it, very very few people can do a blind taste test and pick out a specific commercial beer from amongst direct competitors.

Trying to make a home brew that will also stand out as being unique from equivalent clones can also be difficult.

The two Polish beers you mention are excellent- my local beer store gets one or the other quite frequently- but they're really not all that different than other German or Czech equivalents.

IMHO, no extract based beer will ever come close to being a clone of a commercial Pilsner. Same as Mom's scratch made chocolate cake can never be duplicated from a mix in a box.:mug:
 
OP
T

Todd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
587
Reaction score
1
Location
Mechanicsburg PA
Mikey said:
I would suggest that trying to duplicate a specific brand of beer at home is difficult with any style beer, but particularly so with Pilsners.

When it comes down to it, very very few people can do a blind taste test and pick out a specific commercial beer from amongst direct competitors.

Trying to make a home brew that will also stand out as being unique from equivalent clones can also be difficult.

The two Polish beers you mention are excellent- my local beer store gets one or the other quite frequently- but they're really not all that different than other German or Czech equivalents.

IMHO, no extract based beer will ever come close to being a clone of a commercial Pilsner. Same as Mom's scratch made chocolate cake can never be duplicated from a mix in a box.:mug:

I agree, I'll be doing it all grain. Even if I can't nail the specific beer if I can atleast get close in the style. I see the ones I'm refering to are not listed as pilsner but a strong lager, I assume that is because they are darker in color.

What grain would I sub on that clone recipe to take the place of the extract?
 

Ninkasi

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 27, 2006
Messages
59
Reaction score
1
I recently read that beer from the Polish region used Rose Hips as a preservative before hops were introduced! I was very excited to read that as I am Polish and also want to brew a unique Polish style beer. Maybe find a way to introduce this into the beer (end of boil, secondary fermentation) to make an "authentic," traditional Polish beer.

Note: Rose Hips should NOT replace hops or even be partially substituted for it. It may, or may not, be a good option for lagers. It could change the color slightly.
 

Mikey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
666
Reaction score
5
Location
I'm gone!
Todd said:
I see the ones I'm refering to are not listed as pilsner but a strong lager, I assume that is because they are darker in color.
Strength has nothing to with colour. These two beers are approx. the same colour as any other all mlt pilsner.

Could be some local liquor laws where you live that forces them to put that name on the label.
 
OP
T

Todd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2006
Messages
587
Reaction score
1
Location
Mechanicsburg PA
Mikey said:
Strength has nothing to with colour. These two beers are approx. the same colour as any other all mlt pilsner.

Could be some local liquor laws where you live that forces them to put that name on the label.
The company itself lists it as two different styles, perhaps a pilsner is a certain level. I just wasn't sure if it is simply a strong pilsner or if it would be something different. Pilsners tend to be super light, this is a more amber color.
 

Mikey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
666
Reaction score
5
Location
I'm gone!
Todd said:
Pilsners tend to be super light, this is a more amber color.
True pilseners tend to be almost amber, BMC/beachsexbeer tends to be super light. :D
 
Top