Polarware or Megapot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
I've read comparisons on these kettles, read up on other sites, but I would like to get some opinions from the good people here (hopefully from some people who own them).

I'm trying to decide between:

NORTHERN BREWER: Brew Kettles

Megapot

This line of stainless steel stock pots combine great quality and remarkable value. Unlike the inexpensive Italian Kettles made from welded sheet metal, these kettles are totally seamless. The wall thickness and overall mass of the kettles is significantly higher. The bottom of the kettle has three layers -- an aluminum layer is sandwiched between two stainless steel layers for superior heat dissipation. The bottom of the kettles are 5 mm thick, five times the thickness of the Italian Kettles. All of these pots come with a heavy-duty stainless steel lid, and hollow handles. These kettles will last a lifetime.

10 Gallon MegaPot (No Spigot.) This pot has a capcity of 40 quarts, or 10 gallons. It is 13" tall and 17" in diameter. Wall thickness is 1.0 mm.

and

Polarware

10 Gallon Stainless Kettle. (No spigot.) This heavy-duty, 18-8 stainless steel kettle will last a lifetime. It has a capacity of 10 gallons, which is suitable to vigorously boil over 8 gallons of wort. Perfect for all-grain brewers and extract brewers who want to boil full-wort volumes. A full wort boil is especially important when brewing lighter beer styles, as it prevents wort carmelization. Contains a matching lid. 16" tall, 15" diameter.

You won't go wrong with either. I have an 8 gallon Megapot and it is very sturdy. I had the lid notched at B3 so the chiller can sit inside with the lid on when needed. It's very heavy on the bottom and the lid fits real well. Made in China whereas the Polarware is made in USA I think.

i have a 15 gallon megapot from NB. Alot cheaper than the polarware IIRC. The megapot is built like a tank...very happy with the investment

I had a 15 gallon Megapot for my boil kettle and was very happy with it also. I now use a 20g Blichmann Boilermaker (15g was too small for 10g batches) for my boil kettle and my 15g Megapot is being used as an electric HLT. The Megapot is very sturdy and well built. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it.

I got the 10g mega pot with the diameter of 17" I think you may lose more to evaporation than with a taller pot. For a 5g batch I usually need about 7g or so to start the boil. There maybe other factors involved with the evaporation rate. Overall I really like the pot and i would buy it again.

When I start doing AG, I'll definitely be buying a Blichmann, but I don't want a sight glass on my boil kettle. I can lift a 10 gallon pot with 5.5 gallons of wort, so no valve either. Maybe I'm just cheap...

When I start doing AG, I'll definitely be buying a Blichmann, but I don't want a sight glass on my boil kettle. I can lift a 10 gallon pot with 5.5 gallons of wort, so no valve either. Maybe I'm just cheap...

FWIW: lifting 5.5 gallons is one thing....lifting 5.5 boiling gallons is another

I love my polarware pots. I have two 15 gallon pots with two couplers welded. I don't have much experience with the megapots you listed, so I can't really compare them... I can tell you that my polarware pots can boil ~8 gallons of water on a 150K BTU burner with a 10 PSI regulator within 15-20 minutes on a 10*F day...

I ordered the 10 gal (40 qt) MegaPot w/ ball valve option from NB ($184.99). I received a heavy duty pot as described w/ heavy tri-clad bottom, but the bottom is stamped "Polar Ware, T5140, 40 quart pot, Stainless steel, China".

Does Polar Ware make MegaPot or did NB send me the wrong kettle? Either way, I love the one I received.

Spreadhead

I ordered the 10 gal (40 qt) MegaPot w/ ball valve option from NB ($184.99). I received a heavy duty pot as described w/ heavy tri-clad bottom, but the bottom is stamped "Polar Ware, T5140, 40 quart pot, Stainless steel, China".

Does Polar Ware make MegaPot or did NB send me the wrong kettle? Either way, I love the one I received.

Spreadhead

That's odd. I have the 40 qt. MegaPot (from AHS) and it's stamped SPS-40, Stainless Steel, China. No Polar Ware name anywhere on it.

I have a 10 gallon Polarware kettle with a false bottom. It came with a welded valve port and a welded thermometer port. It's built like a tank and I really like it. The specs on the Megapots look good and the aluminum clad bottom is a great feature if you plan to use it as a direct fired mash tun as I do. I wish the Polarware had that feature. When I upgrade to a 60 qi Mt, it will probably be a Megopot for that reason.

I'm not fond of the Blichmann kettles. They are very thin, the thermometer port is too high, the sight tube port is above the false bottom, all the ports are weldless, the three piece SS ball valves, the thermometer and sight tube are not optional whether you want them or not. On top of all that, they are pricey.

I'm looking at the same situation (brought me to your thread), and am siding with Polarware still including reading this thread.

NSF Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Lid, 60 qt, Stock Pots

Just got this pot and plan to drill/weld for siteglass and valve. You could also go weldless. Free shipping and reasonably cheap. It feels quite stout and has the sandwiched bottom.

I love my 15G Megapot. It's built like a tank and I'm probably going to will it to someone in my family. I think its made by the same company in my quote. The only thing I don't like about is the height to width ratio. I Kind of want it to be taller and more narrow, but I still love it.

why no sight glass on BK? if anything, that's what I'd want it on.

I'm looking at the same situation (brought me to your thread), and am siding with Polarware still including reading this thread.

I'm now working on the same decision, what did you end up choosing? I'm leaning towards Polware atm.

I also have a 10 gallon megapot. Very well made. The only thing I don't like about it is how wide it is compared to height. It forces me to collect a lot more wort due to evaporation. For instance, it takes 7 gallons of wort preboil to get a 5 gallon batch in the fermenter. Part of that may be because I boil outside and the wind certainly plays a role, but the larger surface area has to be the biggest issue.

Here's the cheapest place I found for megapots

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/pr...Pot-with-Capsule-Bottom-80-Quart-Capacity.htm

I bought my hardware from bargainfittings.com.

In the end I got a $350 pot for $240.

This is the cheapest price *before shipping*. You're going to find that shipping costs a ton on these. The cheapest price with shipping ($162 total) is here: http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-80.upi-sps80.0.7.htm.

Neither NB nor MB make their own pots or have a special pot made for them. They are reselling which means markup. I have a Megapot sitting right in front of me, it's made by Update International - the same you'll find at the link I posted above. The only downside to purchasing it from someone other than NB or MB is you can't get it with holes drilled. But believe me - this is super super simple with the appropriate step bit.

Polarware on the other hand does make their own pots but I don't think the quality is any better (or worse) than the UI pots.

Anyone have to say anything about this:

http://morebeer.com/view_product/84...ew_Kettle_-_With_Ball_Valve_32_Quart_8_Gallon

vs. the Megapot? With the Therm and ball valve, the price is within ~$15 of each other.
IMO, for 5 gal batches a 10 gal boil kettle is much, much better. For me, a long boil for a 5.5 gal batch requires about 8 gal pre-boil (and I like long boils). Even if I make a 5.25 gal batch (my minimum size) and don't boil that long it's still very close to boilover. Reserving a little wort just to add it in later everytime you brew just gets to be a hassle. Get a 10 gal pot imo. I don't understand why Morebeer doesn't carry the 10 gal Megapot.

IMO, for 5 gal batches a 10 gal boil kettle is much, much better. For me, a long boil for a 5.5 gal batch requires about 8 gal pre-boil (and I like long boils). Even if I make a 5.25 gal batch (my minimum size) and don't boil that long it's still very close to boilover. Reserving a little wort just to add it in later everytime you brew just gets to be a hassle. Get a 10 gal pot imo. I don't understand why Morebeer doesn't carry the 10 gal Megapot.

I agree that if your gonna spend some bucks on a nice pot get a 10 gallon. 8 gallons will work. Heck even 7.5 gallons will work OK but 10 gallons is much more roomy.

FWIW the morebeer pots are excellent. I have a 15 gallon that I use for 10 gallon batches. It's built like a tank. The thermometer and valve ports are nicely welded in. All the stainless is super thick. The clad bottom really works well. This pot could last a life time.

I had that exact Morebeer kettle, and loved it. The Morebeer and Megapots are basically the same, with one key difference - the Morebeer ones are welded, the Megapots use standard weldless bulkhead fittings. (At least according to the Northern Brewer catalog I'm looking at).

I'd absolutely go Morebeer, but do yourself a favour, and get one with an eye of doing 15 gallon batches. I made the mistake of buying the 8 gallon one, used it for a half dozen brews or so, and then sold it (just last night) for $100.

I too have the Megapot (15 gal.). I love it; very durable and no issues. I drilled holes for my own valve, thermometer and sight glass without any issues either. Get one.

Back