Polarware 10gal with false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
I recently bought a new pot and realized that the dead volume seems about 1.5 to 2 gallons. Do iIneed to compensate my mash with this extra volume? I will be circulating with a pump. Thanks in advance.:mug:

I recently bought a new pot and realized that the dead volume seems about 1.5 to 2 gallons. Do iIneed to compensate my mash with this extra volume? I will be circulating with a pump. Thanks in advance.:mug:

The volume below the FB is very close to one gallon. IMO & IME, the "dead" volume is not really dead at all if you are circulating with a pump. I use this kettle on my direct fired RIMS and I don't add any additional strike water to compensate. I typically use a 1.5 qts/lb water to grain ratio, but when brewing 12 gallon batches and with as much as 26 lbs of grain, I cut it back to 1.2 qts/lb to allow some extra room for the grain. I'm often right up to the brim of the kettle with those larger grain bills. I would suggest just using your normal water to grain ratio and so long as the grain bed is completely saturated with some free liquid above the top you will be good. You will find that once some of the starches begin to dissolve, the grain bed will settle and you will have more free liquid above it. The 10 gal Polarware kettle is my favorite piece of brewing equipment. I've been using it for more than 10 years and have no regrets. I plan to buy the 15 gal version in the near future. They are pricey for sure, but well worth it IMO. Good product.

Thanks Catt22! So, as long as I have some water up top of the grain, I am good to go, right? That seems easy enough.

Catt, how do you brew 12 gallon batches with your 10gal?

I also have a half barrel (15.5 gal) converted keg that I use for my BK. The Polarware kettle is my MT.

Regarding any extra strike water you might need; yes, just have some extra heated water on hand in case you need additional, but I don't think you will. You will have a much better handle on this after you brew a few batches. If you are really worried about it, you can increase the water/grain ratio up to 2 qts/lb without issues, but I recommend starting out with 1.5 qts/lb or so.

Back