Pokémon Go Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailingeric

Beer. Now there's a temporary solution
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After hearing about this with the help of my niece we went Pokémon poaching and i am not sure if I will go all crazy for it but it was a fun way to walk a couple miles around the neighborhood. It might be a good way burn off some of the beer belly.:mug:

I've read internet posts about all the information they collect from your phone while using the game. I don't know if it is true but it is scary.

Pokemon was great when I was a kid. I was obsessed with it! Now that I'm older, I can drink and brew beer. I'm obsessed with it!

I have been seeing crowds of people at landmarks around my town, all looking down at their phones so I know what they're all up to haha. It doesn't bother me, just keep it off the roads.

I've read internet posts about all the information they collect from your phone while using the game. I don't know if it is true but it is scary.

For once it's the iPhone's with the privacy concerns!

(nexus for the win)

eh, most apps ask for more permissions than they need. Ingress, the game that preceded Pokemon Go wasn't abusive with info and permissions, it should be ok. If you're concerned, you shouldn't be playing games on your phone that use your GPS and camera.

Supposedly they found out about the permissions after the game was released. It was only for a short time and only iPhones.

My problem is my app keeps having issues. The thing just sits and spins like it's trying to contact the servers but it doesn't do anything. Then a couple of times when I've caught a pokemon the screen locked up and I had to clear the data on the app to get it back.

Actually, clearing the data on the app has fixed all of the problems (Except server crashes) so far. it's not TOO bad. Just have to enter my birthdate and wait for it to start up again. I'm sure they will get the bugs worked out over time.

I had a good time with my wife as she drove me around town the other day during a short time when the thing actually worked right. Planned to get out this weekend and catch a few while my wife takes pictures (She's getting into photography) but schedules did not mesh up and I had some things to get done at home.

Youngest is camping on North Manitou Island for a couple days and I wonder if there are any out there... I'd be so jelly if she caught a rare!

9217947808775527084%253Faccount_id%253D1

So is this app like virtual geocacheing?

Basically. The app uses your GPS to find your location on a simplified map. On the map are things that pop up; Pokemon, Pokestops, Gyms, etc.

If you get close enough to one of these things you can"

Pokemon = Capture it.
Pokestop = Get things like pokeballs *used to capture pokemon*, Eggs (Can hatch into pokemon I think) and various things to feed pokemon, to upgrade them etc.
Gym = Places where you can battle against other pokemon for XP, etc. (Haven't gotten to that point yet.)

When you find a pokeon and try to capture it the camera starts up adn the pokemon is projected virtually in the screen. A pokeball is at the bottom of the screeen and you swipe up to "toss" it at the pokemon. You may or may not catch it, but starting out it's pretty easy to get a few. Later, depending on your level and the level of the pokemon, it might not stay in the ball.

Not sure why everyone is getting hurt or doing dumb things with this. It's not like you have to have your eyes glued to the screen to walk around. Just glance down once in a while and stand still during the interaction.

Basically. The app uses your GPS to find your location on a simplified map. On the map are things that pop up; Pokemon, Pokestops, Gyms, etc.

If you get close enough to one of these things you can"

Pokemon = Capture it.
Pokestop = Get things like pokeballs *used to capture pokemon*, Eggs (Can hatch into pokemon I think) and various things to feed pokemon, to upgrade them etc.
Gym = Places where you can battle against other pokemon for XP, etc. (Haven't gotten to that point yet.)

When you find a pokeon and try to capture it the camera starts up adn the pokemon is projected virtually in the screen. A pokeball is at the bottom of the screeen and you swipe up to "toss" it at the pokemon. You may or may not catch it, but starting out it's pretty easy to get a few. Later, depending on your level and the level of the pokemon, it might not stay in the ball.

Not sure why everyone is getting hurt or doing dumb things with this. It's not like you have to have your eyes glued to the screen to walk around. Just glance down once in a while and stand still during the interaction.

Ahh. Got it. Thanks

Me and the family have started geocaching in the last year or so. Its fun to "find" things.

Pokeman sounds interesting but the last thing I need is another distraction...

Just tried some Pokemon Go during my lunch break. Got 5 monsters and Level 3. I also went in the grocery store to check the clearance beer bin and found 750 mL Anchorage Galaxy White IPA and Callabaza Boreal for $4, and bombers of Victory Moving Parts #3 IPA for $3, and BraufactuM Progusta IPA for $2.79. Score!

Ahh. Got it. Thanks

Me and the family have started geocaching in the last year or so. Its fun to "find" things.

Pokeman sounds interesting but the last thing I need is another distraction...

This reminds me I still need to set up that puzzle cache down the trial from my house.

Do people still do geocaching? I found the thrill to be gone once all phones had GPS and cache locations were described online. Seemed like cheating.

I like the personal nature of a geocache better. I really couldn't care much at all about Pokemon other than for the family time.

This reminds me I still need to set up that puzzle cache down the trial from my house.

Do people still do geocaching? I found the thrill to be gone once all phones had GPS and cache locations were described online. Seemed like cheating.

I like the personal nature of a geocache better. I really couldn't care much at all about Pokemon other than for the family time.

Oh yeah I can see that. We use our phones and an app that does give hints, although the phone in my experience will usually only get you within 20'. Fun for us and my small children. Although nothing is more frustrating than spending an hour getting stumped at a cache site for a 5 y/o.

We are thinking of buying an actual GPS because the places we like to go usually don't have any cell reception.

Oh wow. Without context that would be super unsettling.

Even in context, it is unsettling. There is no tangible gain from this behavior.

People are so F----ing stupid sometimes.

My GF works in a park as a gardener during the summer. The day it was released she said there were a ton of people in the park, which she found super encouraging, but that they were all staring at their phones (a major pet peeve- people can't do ANYTHING anymore without taking breaks to stare at their phones.)

When she found out they were all there because of the game, she got irritating. Over this week they've had kids doing $hit like bring power strips to hijack park outlets (like in a gazebo for band lighting) to keep their addic-- ahem, entertainment, alive.

The park has a ~50' diameter duck pond that is supposedly a "gym" at one point 35+ people were standing around it, just staring at their phones.

My GF works in a park as a gardener during the summer. The day it was released she said there were a ton of people in the park, which she found super encouraging, but that they were all staring at their phones (a major pet peeve- people can't do ANYTHING anymore without taking breaks to stare at their phones.)

When she found out they were all there because of the game, she got irritating. Over this week they've had kids doing $hit like bring power strips to hijack park outlets (like in a gazebo for band lighting) to keep their addic-- ahem, entertainment, alive.

The park has a ~50' diameter duck pond that is supposedly a "gym" at one point 35+ people were standing around it, just staring at their phones.

Good chance some of them actually talked to each other at some point. And I bet many of them didn't even know there was a park or pond there before the game. I think the game gets people out, and even if you have to be on your phone for some time, I bet people will learn a lot more about the places they find in the game than they would have staying at home texting each other, or playing games on their phone on the couch.

Last night the family went to our local park and took pictures of flowers. My wife has taken on the hobby of photography and I wanted a bit of exercise. I saw several people at the park doing pokemon, and the young kids were playing on the toys. I also saw the park in a state of disarray. Sad how some things are built in good times, and then neglected when the time comes for maintenance.

The camera feature can be turned off.

You can sign up with a Pokémon account, if you make one. I used my Google mail which I only use for stuff Google wants me to have a Gmail for. So, not very much.

I've heard that argument before, but If they did, what's the chance that they talked about anything but Pokemon?

Hell if I know!

Daughter and I went out last night after watching Ghostbusters (Good movie, BTW!)

We talked about all kinds of things.

And I did discover that playing Pokemon in a more active area is pretty distracting. You have to pay attention to what you are doing. Much more than I experienced before.

I went out walking last night and caught a few but out of Pokeballs. The good thing is the couple stops in my area to recharge makes a nice little loop to get in a couple miles. :tank:

I went out walking last night and caught a few but out of Pokeballs. The good thing is the couple stops in my area to recharge makes a nice little loop to get in a couple miles. :tank:

Yeah, a friend complained because he ran out and he didn't want to pay to get more. I don't think he understood that the Pokestops recharge after a short time and you can just go hit it up for more. I think I have about 100 balls right now.

The higher level you are the more new things you can get. Just found out about a couple of new things. Not sure when I can afford the time to go play with it again. I gotta get back to fixing my daughter's car I broke.

Yeah, a friend complained because he ran out and he didn't want to pay to get more. I don't think he understood that the Pokestops recharge after a short time and you can just go hit it up for more. I think I have about 100 balls right now.

The higher level you are the more new things you can get. Just found out about a couple of new things. Not sure when I can afford the time to go play with it again. I gotta get back to fixing my *daughter's car I broke.

* Pokémon hunting vehicle.

Or hunting as I go about work. It's a large facility. Pokes everywhere. A few guys sent an email to Niantic to place a stop and a gym there.

We have 2-3 Gyms in our small town. The are stocked with pokemon WAAAAAYYYY high in CP than I have. Kind of depressing. Kids have too much time to play compared to me. At least one of them is a Valor, so hopefully I will get a chance to train there soon. So long as nobody comes along and takes it over, that is...

Kid and I walked down to the gas station last night and talked and did pokemon. I hatched an egg when we got there and start incubating another. It was 1.5k incubated when I went to bed. So that means we walked at least 3 kilometers there and back. That means we walked about 2 miles total.

Need to get our bikes fixed up!

I'm a 32 year old manchild and I've been loving this game. Heck, I spend just as much time outside hunting pokemon as I do working. This game has gotten me out of the house more often than my ex-gf has.

I'm just dreading wintertime when the touch-screens get cold and don't work properly. You'd think a Canadian company would have created winter-proof touchscreen by now.

I was somewhere today watching so many people staring at their phones chasing imaginary $hit it made me sick. I wanted to go around *****-slapping people one at a time.

Oh no! How dare people entertain themselves with video games out in public where they could offend you. They should all stay inside and chase the imaginary things there, exactly like they've been doing for years... /s

So says trading will be a thing. I hope they put limits on it. No level one trainer with a 2,000 CP Vaporeon. Limit number of trades per day. Because you know there will be a black market for Pokémons.

Trainer vs Trainer PvP style. That'd be cool, so long as you can decline. No hardcore PvP.

Rural folks are clamoring for more pokestops and gyms in the sticks.

People are wanting to sync their other fitness apps to PG. Pros and cons. Pro, you'd get credit for action throughout the day even when the battery hog PG isn't running. Con, not all fitness apps are equal. FitBit gives me step credit for motorcycling. It's an activity, but not like walking or bicycling. Besides, it's a game. You only get credit when you're playing it.

Something I haven't experienced, and it's geography, is these 100+ Pokémon Trainer scenes. Seven, including the two with me, is the most I've seen when for sure it was people playing PG. Of course, I now think everyone walking with a phone out is playing.

Younger daughter had to do some driving to stay practiced for her test coming up. She drove me to Cadillac and then drove me all around while I collected Pokemons and stuff.

She said she wasn't that into pokemon, but when we had to stop and take breaks she was out there collecting too. And she seemed to know a fair amount about pokemon, so I think she remembers a bit from the show.

Found a spot or two up there with some more rare pokemons.

Bought new tires for my old bike and plan to get a handle bar grip to hold the phone.

And a battery pack...

Back