pointless to transfer into ground this late in season?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
i have 2 hop plants, in 2 small pots (1st years)... they are both about 8 feet tall, but still have no cones(maybe some the size of ant).

a spot recently opened up to plant on in the ground, but is there any point to do it this late in the season? would be a better idea to keep them in pots this year and just wait untill next?

your best bet would be to wait until they die back later on this fall and stick them in the ground then. the soil will be warm for a long enough period to allow them to begin getting rooted and they'll take off like rockets next spring. i started moving some things around in the fall a few years back and have had great results. hop to it!

I'm no expert, but I think that the longer they have to establish their root network the better they will do next year. I say plant them now.

I've got 16 I'm going to move in the next few weeks. Like PK said give them all the time you can to root in.

NOW.

Water well. Let any new bines just grow, they are supporting root development.

No harvest this year, but you will get optimum sprouting next spring!!

I have a plant in a 12" pot that is about 8' and has lots (for first year) of cones on it. I'm going to wait until everything dies back and goes dormant before I make the transfer. Maybe as late as November.

I'm no expert, but I think that the longer they have to establish their root network the better they will do next year. I say plant them now.

transplanting them at this time of the year may and probably will work, but from an agronomic viewpoint, you are taking a plant that is relatively happily growing and doing it's thing as best it can, and now you are going to place it under stress by asking it to try to develop new roots while trying provide enough water and nutrients to sustain the 8 or so feet of vegetation it has produced. i'm not saying it can't be done, but after dealing with plants for a good portion of my life, i'd just let it go dormant then stick it in the ground. at that point it can concentrate on establishing roots without draining the energy out of the crown to support the vines also. no matter what you do, make sure it has some well prepared soil in it's new area. good luck.

Bad idea, as you'll damage the rootlets. Almost all of the water and nutrients are absorbed by roots that are too small to see. There is no way you can transfer the plants without ripping most of them off.

Back