Point me in the right direction.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fauxsho

Reaction score
I have read tons of threads in the Beginners Beer Brewing Forum but none of them really seem "Beginner" enough for me.

As a culinary student I understand how to follow a recipe, temperature control, and fermentation. I am also a pretty hands-on-type of person and I am usually pretty good at things I set my mind to. I'm a perfectionist but nothing ever comes out perfect so I'm also a pretty angry person at times, lol. We all make mistakes, and being able to learn from those mistakes by jumping head-first into something, I think, can make you so much better at whatever it is that you're doing.

Also, I like DIY projects. I don't like the idea of "kits." My first kegerator project was a tower kit and it totally killed the whole thing for me. I mean, I had beer on tap at the end of it, and I was thankful, it just wasn't anything to call my own. I wasn't proud of it.

Anyway, I'm sort of confused about a starting point... Extracts seem like the logical place to start but I am not liking the idea of not having total creative control over the process so I have a couple of questions.

#1. Would I be overwhelming myself by jumping straight into AG as a first-time home brewer?

#2. What equipment would you suggest that would work for brewing with extract but also be able to make the transition into AG without having to "upgrade" my set up?

#3. Should I just suck it up and purchase a starter kit? :confused:

#4. As a newcomer to this whole scene, am I asking the right questions?

Thanks in advance.

#1. You might be overwhelmed by the process, or underwhelmed by the results of your first time All-Grain. It would be more likely to do an extract and be overwhelmed by your product! There is nothing wrong with extract brews.

#2. Most of the equipment translates between extract and all grain. A large 32-40 quart stockpot and a high BTU burner are the only differences for all grain vs extract.

#3. Don't do that if it will make you guilty. Make Yooper's 60 min DFH Clone instead :)

#4. Sure

1) look into BIAb as a place to start with AG brewing. It will limit the amount of initial equipment needed.
2) you might need a bigger pot to do AG BIAB. But that same pot can be used for full boil extract kits without issue. Do the math to see what size you need. There is a "can I mash this" calculator that can tell you how much volume the mash will take based on grain weight and water ratio. Use that and the knowledge that a 5 g batch (bottled) will need to start as about 6.5-7 gallons pre-boil. That should give you a handy guesstimate on how big a pot.
3) yes. It's a discounted way to get all the gear you need. Buy a cheap one to get the basics and then build on as you see fit, or bite the bullet and get something with all the bells and whistles if you want. If you are talking about recipe kits, you don't need too, brewmaster warehouse has a great recipe building tool or just borrow a recipe from the board and start there. Grain, yeast, water, hops and heat will make beer. It's just a matter of putting them together correctly.
4) I am sure there will be more questions :)

1. If you are willing to do a lot of reading and are good at visualizing processes in your mind before you do them then no. However, making extract batches will get you accustomed to the boil, hop additions, chilling hot wort, etc. which is basically the second half of an all grain brew day.
2. Get a full sized kettle (32-40qt as medusa said) an outdoor burner, and an immersion chiller. You will need these to do all grain. There are many ways to brew but these items are a standard sort of kit.
3. I started by making a couple of Mr. Beer kits, then a pre-made morebeer kit. After the first morebeer kit I have not purchased another kit. I think avoiding kits and formulating my own recipes has made me a much better brewer in the long run. You have to be willing to drink some less than perfect beers for a while if you go this route though. So, I'd recommend making at least one or two kits first to get the process down; then jump right in and make up your own if you feel like it.
4. Absolutely.

If you use extract, you still have control of what you are making. Do partials. 65 -70% extract and 30-35% grain. You still create the recipe, you just don't have to mash as much grain.

OP, one more book to read - heck I'll just excerpt from it - YEAST by Chris White (of white labs) and Jamil Zainasheff (byo.com blogs and micro brewr).

90% of the Flavor profile (of good beer) comes from the yeast, only 10% therefore from that malt and hops. 90% is affected pitching the right amount of yeast, good aeration, and temp control. Of those the 1st is easy to do, the 2nd is harder and generally requires some $$ for an O2 system, the last is most costly as it requires serious temp control - generally able to hold to a specific temp point aroudn 65+/- <1deg F depending on the yeast and beer.

So is there value going AG over Extract when 90% of flavor is in the pitch rate, aeration and temp control? (and 100% in good/bad sanitation but that is a different discussion). That and space are reasons why I don't bother with AG. In terms of measuring and fermenting equipment (therometers, hydrometers, buckets, carboys, etc) are all used for either AG or Extract, - once you have cooled the wort everything is the same.

If you think you will in the future want to go AG, then get your boil kettle sized for that even if you start with extract.

And using extract doesn't mean nesc starter kits. It just means skipping the AG part. There are lots of extract recipes out there that you could do for your first beer.

just my $.05 (I blame inflation)

I was in virtually the same position in November last year. I love to cook, and am quite good especially at sauces (at least so it seems). I am also a rather meticulous person who rapidly absorbs information (like a lot of the wonderful information present here). As soon as I made my first partial grain/extract kit, I was a bit miffed that I wasn't extracting the sugars from the grain myself. Then I looked into it a bit more...I then realized AG was not as difficult as I would have thought it to be, and essentially starting out partial extract, I was already doing the steeping step, just for more limited time! So why not do it with all of it. I did a lot of hearty research, built a MLT in a rubbermaid 5 gallon cooler and have had a blast. I figured if I was going to do AG anyways, I might as well jump in so I can rectify my mistakes with the method that I am planning on settling on anyways. The only thing I can say is if you go to AG avoid some mistakes I made:

Make a 10 gal MLT instead of a 5
Get an extra thermometer and hydrometer (to ensure the safety of your primary ones, once you have two, you break none)
If you are using liquid yeasts, look into yeast starters, washing yeast, and culturing yeast to save money (It's not that hard, and it can save a lot of money)
Get a 10 gal kettle, not a 5.
Get something to stabilize PH and test it.
Make a wort chiller
Make sure you have somewhere for stable fermentation temperatures
Get a propane burner, or something more efficient than an electric stovetop (I used a turkey fryer burner)
Get a friend involved if you want, but not too many, it will complicate the process and potentially ruin things (One head sometimes is better than many heads and many hands)
Do your research, don't take what people say as authoritative, especially if they are newer brewers like me. Look towards respected resources that people have that already produce great beer, they know how it is done practically. Not just a bunch of repeating they do of theory.

I am sure there will be more questions :)
Yeah, hope I don't wear you guys out! :cross:

Thank you so much for all of your replies, this has been more than helpful. I also found a LHBS near by today to help as well. As of right now I have most of my "beer budget" tied up into a keezer project. But when I decide to pull the trigger on this whole homebrew thing I will keep you updated!

Thanks again!

Cheers.

Back