PM Sanity Check

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mdbrewer1

Reaction score
So, this weekend I'm going to attempt my first PM based on the Andes Mint Chocolate Stout recipe found here.

I'm not at home so I don't have Beersmith in front of me to confirm, but someone in the thread said the recipe converted to this...

6 lbs Briess Golden Light DME
1 lb Flaked Barley
0.5 lbs Briess Caramel 40L - crushed
0.5 lbs Weyermann Dehusked Carafa III - crushed
0.5 lbs Briess Organic Chocolate - crushed
East Kent Goldings Hop Pellets 1.75oz
WLP004

If I swap out 3 lbs. of the DME using the conversion of weight of DME/0.6 = weight of base grain, that would give me 5 lbs of 2 row.

I'm a little unsure of what to do after that. Can I add the specialty grains to the 2 row and flaked barley and let them sit during the mash? If so, how much water should I be starting with? Do I need to do 1.5 quarts/lb x the entire weight of all the grains or just the weight of the 2 row? I read an old AHA article and it looks like they do only the weight of the 2 row. That would give me 1.5 qts/lb x 5 lbs = 7.5 qts.

Do I need to mash for a full 60 minutes?

After the mash is over, can I save all of the remaining DME for a late addition since I'd already have added what amounts to half of the DME, which is what I've been doing lately for late additions.

Does that all sound reasonable? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Andy_P

Reaction score
I know this isn't much help but I was wanting to do something like this, let me know how it comes out. Very interested to see.