PM decoction simulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I had posted this long ago in another life;), but I've now been doing it a few years with great success.

Any PM I want to simulate a decoction on, I take 2 cups or so of the grain I am mashing (and some liquid) and I sizzle that in a separate skillet until all the moisture is gone and the grains are caramalizing a little.

I let it cool a little and return it to my mash pot.

It adds a depth of flavor that is a little roasty and otherwise hard to describe. I assume it simulates a decoction reasonably well.

Just wanted to share!

It sounds like a great idea but I question it resembling flavors from a decotion. It really sounds like a technique suited for a Scottish Ale.

I might try it on my next brown.

It sounds like a great idea but I question it resembling flavors from a decotion. It really sounds like a technique suited for a Scottish Ale.

I might try it on my next brown.

Fair enough! I don't claim it even comes that close since I have never done a true full AG decoction.

I just approximated the techniques effect on the grain, not on temps.

At first I thought you were going to say after doing the partial mash you take it to a boil like a decoction. I think as long as the PM had some base malt and not just crystal it would work.

With a decoction the theory is it doesn't really caramelize because the water content is too high and keeps it from getting hot enough. Taking a smaller amount and removing most the water so it will really caramelize is one of the tricks I've read with Scottish Ales.

Now if I give it a shot and burn it, I'm putting the blame on you.

At first I thought you were going to say after doing the partial mash you take it to a boil like a decoction. I think as long as the PM had some base malt and not just crystal it would work.

With a decoction the theory is it doesn't really caramelize because the water content is too high and keeps it from getting hot enough. Taking a smaller amount and removing most the water so it will really caramelize is one of the tricks I've read with Scottish Ales.

Now if I give it a shot and burn it, I'm putting the blame on you.
:mug:

Essentially the malt does boil as the moisture is "boiled" off, but maybe I should back off on letting it heat after the moisture is gone.

Most of the brews I do benefit from a little caramel, but on say a Pilsener, I should definitely not let it caramalize!

Either way (sfter several experiments) Sizzling the grains adds a little color and a slightly roasty depth of flavor that definitely adds to certain brews.

There is a depth of flavor added that is more complex than just adding some crystal or darker crystal.

I plan to do this with 2 or so lbs of grian in my next brew (seasonal).

Back