PM Amarillo IPA - critique requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosaisu

Reaction score
Have been brewing for a while now but this is my first crack at formulating my own recipe (after looking at lots of the beers I've brewed so far, as well as some recipes on HBT, of course). Any thoughts/suggestions?

Amarillo IPA
vol: 5.5 gallons
yeast: US-05

Partial Mash (152F, 1.25qts/lb, 60 mins):
- 2lb 2-Row Pale Malt
- 1lb Vienna Malt
- 12oz Crystal Malt (20L)

Extract: 7lb Golden Light LME

Boil:
- 60 min: 1 oz Centennial
- 15 min: 1.5 oz Amarillo
- 10 min: 1 oz Amarillo
- 5 min: 1 oz Amarillo, 1 tab Whirlfloc
- flameout: 1 oz Amarillo
- dry hop (5 days): 2 oz Amarillo

I entered the recipe into brew toad. Take a look:
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/amarillo-ipa-81
That's 8% alcohol and 60 IBU!
Have you considered Papazian's Laughing Heart of India?
It's similar

Interesting! In Beersmith I'm getting a 1.065 OG (6.7% ABV) and 72.5 IBU. I did enter the actual AA% for my hops (9.2% for Centennial and 8.5% for Amarillo) but that would only drive the IBUs down further in brewtoad.

[EDIT: Oh wait, looks like you have 4 lb of 2 Row, not 2 lb as I have in the recipe. At least that explains the OG difference, but I'm still puzzled about the IBUs!]

I entered the recipe into brew toad. Take a look:
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/amarillo-ipa-81
That's 8% alcohol and 60 IBU!
Have you considered Papazian's Laughing Heart of India?
It's similar

You put in 4 lbs 2-row. Also wonder if it would really get down to 1.011 with all the extract, seems lots of folks complain about the fermentability.

With the recipe as listed above I'm getting 1.064 at 75% efficiency. Looks pretty good to me.

Just a thought:
Use more 2 row in the mash and use less extract. I like to do that because I think this makes it a fresher tasting beer.
So consider using the 4 # of 2 row and perhaps only 5 or 5.5 # of extract.

I just brewed something similar last night. 75% 2 row, 18.8% vienna, 3.1% each C-20 and dextrine. .75 magnum at 60. The rest Amarillo 1.25 at 15, 1.75 at 5 and 1.75 at 1. 3 oz dryhop.

Back